Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First true cold weather cook on the summit  (Read 680 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
First true cold weather cook on the summit
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
When i got my summit in June, i was excited to cook everything, every way possible, but in the back of my mind, i was really excited about cold weather cooking. I have always cooked year round but some of my favorite cooks are in cold weather:

- Smoked turkey has become a staple in my house on thanksgiving

- We Usually end smoking something for New Year’s Eve

- Super Bowl

The last few years, the thanksgiving turkey on the WSM was a little more hands on then i wanted it to be as its cooking a big piece of meat at high heat for a long time in cold weather.

The temp this thanksgiving wasn’t bad and my thanksgiving cook went great.

Now it was on to New Year’s Eve. We were hosting a small group including a buddy who is the new owner of my old 22” wsm.

The temp at cook time was a balmy 16 degrees :)

The summit ramped up to 275 quick and settled in and sat there for 4 hours while i cooked some STL’s:

After four hours of ribs it was chicken time. i cranked open the vents full go and was ready to rock:

The insulation is amazing, the summit cooked in 16 degrees like like it was the Fourth of July. To be able to change temps without adding coals was pretty awesome too. The only change was startling with about 20 lit coals to start as opposed to my usual 10 or so.

The summit is a winter cooking beast, my only issue with my next cook will be digging it out from the two foot snow drift its under :)

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: First true cold weather cook on the summit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
Wow that is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
First true cold weather cook on the summit
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
I have had my summit since April 2016 and love it.   You can change temps easily by adjusting vents and it holds temps great !!    I live in the south and doesn't get to cold.   The grill is game changer and if you don't own one you will not understand.    It is expensive but people spend more money on dumber stuff.   I luv my summit !!  Keep grilling everyone !!

Sent from my  Joes Cajunbadassbbq
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:21:45 PM by joewhodatt »