Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 9lb frozen pork butt, can it be thawed in time?  (Read 1225 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
9lb frozen pork butt, can it be thawed in time?
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Just found out today that my work is having a potluck lunch on Thursday.  I would love to cook the 9lb pork butt I have in my freezer on the WSM but in order to have it ready to go when I leave for work Thursday morning, I am going to need to start it tomorrow when I get home.  Has anyone thawed a pork butt in 24 hours?  If so, what did you do?  I usually get one out of the freezer about a week before I need to cook it and let it thaw in the fridge.
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: 9lb frozen pork butt, can it be thawed in time?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »

Is it in cryovac wrap?  Leave it in that if it is.

Put it into a pot of cold water, covered by the water, and place it in the fridge.

Will you be doing it overnight (Wed night to Thurs AM) ??  Should be thawed by Wed evening.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Uhh...if it's that short of notice, why not consider buying fresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
9lb frozen pork butt, can it be thawed in time?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
Plan is to do it Wednesday night into Thursday.  In regards to fresh, the problem is a. I'm cheap b. I've got three frozen pork butts taking up space that I would like to free up.  BUT, if I can get one cheap, I may go fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
I went through this a month ago.

Thawed butt for two days threw it on the kettle when it was 28 degrees internal and I'm not sure it took any longer than normal.

You'll be fine

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
If you have one of those Home Depot buckets, pop it in there with cold water and change your water frequently, every 30-45 minutes. Basically you're going to perform the "oh shit, I forgot to defrost the turkey for thanksgiving" move. You can thaw it pretty fast changing that cold water.

The issue at hand is if you pop it on the smoker with too cold an internal temp (i.e., partially frozen) it stays in the bacterial "danger zone" too long and you could potentially make people sick. It will not heat up fast enough to avoid that, starting from frozen.

If it isn't cryovac'd that's ok, either put it in a giant ziplock... or instead of cold water, use a simple brine and just keep swapping out cold brine.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »
Not being a dick here but if you can just go out and buy a fresh one. No stress that way. Then plan the cook for the other butt a bit better. One thing I've learned so far in this journey is to not rush any part of the process but that's my personal experience. Good luck dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
I like to put it in a large ice chest...With no ice of course...The temp in the chest will stay cold enough to be safe but not so cold as to keep it from thawing...Moniter the temps in the chest and add ice if the meat thaws too soon...