Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indirect Cooking Question  (Read 1632 times)

TCookHusker

• Happy Cooker
Indirect Cooking Question
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
Hey All!
Got kind of a dumb question..at what point do in need to have a drip pan for indirect cooking?  I was doing some chicken wings and had them on direct heat for a while to crisp them up.  I then moved them off to indirect.  I did not have a drip pan underneath since it was only for about 15 minutes or so.  I went to clean the grill after it cooled down and I could not move my bottom damper handle.  I scraped a little off of the dampers and got it to move then.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Indirect Cooking Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
I try to use foil or foil pans as much as possible just to keep the OT moving freely and to avoid a grease fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »

^ Agree with kettlebb.  I place either foil or a drip pan on the charcoal grate whenever I cook indirect.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Buy a roll of the cheapest aluminum foil you can find and keep it in your grill area. I TRY to always throw down some foil when cooking indirect.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
I only use a drip pan if I'm cooking pork belly or butt.

The mess left behind with everything else is easier than dealing with foil,  imo.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
I just scrape the inside of my weber, with a plastic scraper, which gets rid of all the mess, and goes into my ash catcher at the bottom.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
When I do wings with my vortex, I usually don't put anything under them since they are around the outer area of the grill.  It would be kind of tricky to foil that area.  When I am done with the wings, I pull the vortex out, move the coals to the outer area and let the coals burn the grease off.  Same technique should be applicable to other indirect cooking methods, just move you coals to the indirect side once you are done cooking at let them burn off the drippings.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »
I try to use a drip pan as much as possible. I forgot to use one a couple of times when doing wings and when I did a pork belly that I made into bacon and I regretted it. My vents would move until I scraped the crap out of it. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Indirect Cooking Question
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
Don't use a pan or foil much. Most times i do what mike mentioned above. Turn the heat up move coals around and let it burn off. Every now and then I pull both grates out and hit them and the walls with the wire brush. I actually haven't really cleaned a kettle or my WSM in over 2 years. My sweeps work fine.