Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for pork belly recipe  (Read 2177 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Looking for pork belly recipe
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
Hey fella's. I'm looking to see if anyone has a recipe for a pork belly you'd be willing to share. I've been looking on YouTube, and was wondering if someone here had a quick, not to many ingredient recipe. Here's what I'm working with. I'd appreciate any help.

Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Looking for pork belly recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »
@Travis 

Just did my 1st belly slab a few days ago.....

Wanted a quick, throw it on & do it setup, but after some input at Bretheren & watching some vids,
stabbed it all over the skin side w/ a VERY sharp fork, basted the skin w/ vinegar & Kosher & fridged overnite.....this was an attempt to draw the moisture out & get the skin to really crisp up......

That worked just OK as I didn't really "sear" it at the start or end....some folks broil the skin side 1st & then slow smoke for some hours.....

Deep scored the meat side (this time) & rubbed w. McCormick's Bourbon.Brown sugar, hot paprika & gran. garlic...............that part came out great.....sort of like a burnt end thing......the meat between the skin & the red side is like the most delectable pork loin you can imagine.....
Went skin up 1st & later skin down......aimed for 280~300 & was there for about 3-1/2 hrs...........

I've another 5# slab in the fridge....that one maybe I'll score the skin side & do the same vinegar / Kosher wash treatment & perhaps a quick broil.........

If your's is pre-brined, maybe you can just skip all that hoopala &  smoke it of for a few hours....seems most folks go a little higher heat as there's a bunch of fat to render....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:28:24 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
@1buckie. It's not brined. I deeply scored the skin, crosshatch, rub basic, salt, pepper, garlic, chipotle powder. I just got done and put it in the fridge. I was thinking maybe some brown sugar. Hand in hand type of thing. I'll do that. Thanks for the help!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:59:53 AM »
Watch the sugar for scorching if you cook higher heat !!!

Have Fun !!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
Well, put in on for about 2 1/2 hrs at 280.  Took a sample when I went to rest it and...

SALT!!!! [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Damn! It went in the trash. I'm going to do some research and try it again. Thanks for the help though, buckie!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
First my dry pork now this?  Dang, that's too bad. I've never purchased or cooked a belly. I noticed the package said salt pork. Are all bellies this way or can you get an unsalted version?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Looking for pork belly recipe
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
I hear ya Hoosier!
I think I should have read the package first. The sodium content is through the roof! Then I added more!
I know you can get bellies through your butcher. Not cured or whatever. I made some bacon out of one earlier this year.  I'm just going to get one from them again.
These 1 lb packs were attractive though because of the size rather than a few lbs. cut.
Oh well, I'll keep tryin. We all learn from our fails.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:30:14 PM by Travis »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
@HoosierKettle
@Travis

That's what I meant by "brined"....it's salt pork for like adding to a bean or soup pot....good stuff & could be desalinated by soaking & changing or slow stream of cold water....

The ones I got were 5# raw belly....Sam's started carrying them here, so thought it was worth a shot.....$2.39 / # or something cheap like that....

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
@1buckie.
I gotcha now! Dude, I probably made one funny stale beer face when I took a bite of that! It needed rinced or soaked a few times. I definitely learned something there.
I'm just going to get a raw one from my butcher and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
Hey Travis, Costco has pork bellies too.

I was tempted to get one of those little salt porks yesterday when I ran by schnucks.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »
Hey Travis, Costco has pork bellies too.

I was tempted to get one of those little salt porks yesterday when I ran by schnucks.
Thanks for the heads up about Costco. We will be going there next month. I'll keep a look out.
Those salt cured bellies would be fine, of course, I just didn't look at them close enough. Dude, it was funny when I bit into that damn thing!!

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 05:36:47 AM »
Sometimes they're pre-salted and you rinse them off.  I've only done 1 belly (from Costco) ... I can't remember what I did to it (maybe I made a thread) ... they have so much fat you have to render as much as possible...

We cubed the results and made pork belly tacos with some nice vinegar based slaw.  Great, now I'm hungry.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS