Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Caveman Dinner Party  (Read 1050 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Caveman Dinner Party
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:32:07 AM »
No pics due to the fact I spent the night grilling in the dark and pouring rain, but the goddess and I had another couple over on Saturday for a bit of a dinner party and I was able to experiment with a concept I've been working on - Four courses for 4 four adults using just the kettle and my chapa with one chimney full of charcoal.

First app - while the coals had just been set and the chapa warmed up for only about 10 minutes.  Grilled goat cheese on crustinis with kalamata olive tapinade.

Second app - While heat was at it's peak.  Corn fritters with grilled salmon strips

Main - Fire declining to moderate-high temp.  Grilled Rosti (shredded potato cakes) topped with caramelized onion and grilled skirt steak strips served with grilled broccoli.

Dessert - Remainder of declining coals.  Baked a cherry clafoutis in the closed kettle.

A little stressful doing something completely new in front of guests (especially with uncooperative weather), but overall a great experience.  Has me thinking about the 'showmanship factor' of doing similar party menus with an actual firepit burning.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Caveman Dinner Party
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:10:16 AM »
Nice menu, I like the variety.  How'd the clafoutis turn out after baking in the grill?  I've always baked mine in the oven, so your post gives me hope I can make it in a kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
The clafoutis was really similar to the oven - By the time it went on there was no discernable smoke left coming off the coals,  I set the cake pan right on the chapa to utilize the radiant stored heat from the cast iron as well.  Took about 45 minutes as opposed to a half hour or so in the oven.  Didn't 'puff' as much as I would have liked though, although I don't think that had anything to do with baking it in the kettle.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
@Mr.CPHo  The Kettle IS an oven!!!!
To OP:  Sounds like a great dinner party!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie