Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow & Sear/temp probe question  (Read 3534 times)

Mosca

• Smokey Joe
Slow & Sear/temp probe question
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
Where do people place the probe? I had it between the racks of ribs, but then I decided that wouldn't give me an accurate pit temp (too close to the cold meat) so I moved it to between the water tray and the first rack of ribs. Here's the setup:

Thanks! (I love my BGE, but all this extra real estate on the cooking rack is heaven!)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow & Sear/temp probe question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »
I actually fiddled with a little bracket and an alligator clip so I can mount one in the dome.  I know that it doesn't give me the temp at grate level, but I was having the same concerns.  Now at least, I'm getting a consistent temp read no matter what I'm cooking.

Obviously, I'm not using this with the vortex.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
Lookin at your set up looks like you could put it on either side. Should be pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 07:05:57 AM »
According to something I read at the SnS site, the temperature across the indirect side of the grill grate should be relatively the same so I usually put my probe on either end as @Travis alluded to. That has seemed to work pretty well.

Correct me if I'm wrong @ABCbarbecue
'15 Black Premium 22.5" | '15 Black MT 22.5" | Original SnS | Maverick ET-732 | ThermoWorks Smoke
Jack of All Trades BBQ - Since 2015

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
According to something I read at the SnS site, the temperature across the indirect side of the grill grate should be relatively the same so I usually put my probe on either end as @Travis alluded to. That has seemed to work pretty well.

This is correct.  Temps tend to be within about 20 F all over the indirect side, and the spot that's warmer tends to move around, so you end up with basically even cooking.  I've tested this many times.

The temperatures do increase noticeably as you get ABOVE the grate.  It's hotter 4 inches above the grate than at grate level.  Because of this I recommend flipping big hunks of meat top to bottom half way through the cook or if you have ribs on their side, flip them half way through so the downside becomes the topside.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:29:16 AM »
Not digital, but my solution has always been to adjust the clip on a Long Fryer Thermometer to hover just above wherever I want it.

Simple & it works

Pictured is my daily OTS cooker, likely between its annual cleans & never gets covered
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
Nice @Metal Mike. Not sure I could live without my Maverick though. The remote receiver capabilities are amazing. I wish my ThermaQ had that.
'15 Black Premium 22.5" | '15 Black MT 22.5" | Original SnS | Maverick ET-732 | ThermoWorks Smoke
Jack of All Trades BBQ - Since 2015

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:53:01 AM »
@Metal Mike. Ol' school pit boys style 👍👍

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »

This is correct.  Temps tend to be within about 20 F all over the indirect side, and the spot that's warmer tends to move around, so you end up with basically even cooking.  I've tested this many times.

The temperatures do increase noticeably as you get ABOVE the grate.  It's hotter 4 inches above the grate than at grate level.  Because of this I recommend flipping big hunks of meat top to bottom half way through the cook or if you have ribs on their side, flip them half way through so the downside becomes the topside.

This is very interesting and funny timing....  I smoked a big batch of turds yesterday and at one point when I checked on them there were about 5 of them in one small area that weren't as cooked (bacon wasn't as dark) as the others.  The next time I checked on them they had caught up.  So what you said makes perect sense and I saw it in action yesterday!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

I like to put my probe right on the cooking grid in the middle of my meat.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 05:37:36 AM »
I put mine off to the side.
I want an "average" area and I want as little cable in the kettle as possible.
In this pic, I could have been a little more central, but it worked fine where it was.
That is my go-to location in a kettle.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:41:06 AM by DirectDrive »

RadRacer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »
I clip mine just under the grate on the indirect side, probably about 1/2" under it. Then I route the wire down and out a bottom vent

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I clip mine just under the grate on the indirect side, probably about 1/2" under it. Then I route the wire down and out a bottom vent

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I like this idea.  No matter where you put it you are just getting the temp in that specfic place.  Under the grate might be a little different than at or above the grate, but as ABC has said the temp zones float around and it all evens out when its all said and done.  Putting the probe upside down under the grate solves a the problem of it getting in the way of  food and as long as you are careful putting your meat on allows you to put the probe in the center of your cooking zone.  I like it!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:12:01 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
I doesn't matter where you put your thermometer as long as it's at a reasonable distance from meat/fire/water, provides consistent temp readings, and you can learn how to control your cooker accordingly. I'd move it to the grate near the end of your ribs and place your top vent opposite of the fire.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 04:00:23 PM »
i always clip to the underside of the grate as well