Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: leg\stand cleanup  (Read 2716 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
leg\stand cleanup
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
I was driving around the other day with my youngest daughter and spotted an 18" wsm under a set of stairs at an apartment bld. It is sitting next to an 18" kettle and a box store junk smoker. I stopped to look and it looks like it hasnt been used in a long time. If I remember right it had wood handles that were about to fall of, but I'm not sure, that may have been the kettle. The legs were pretty rusty looking which leads me to my question. Are the legs on the older wsm's able to be cleaned up like the kettles? I am going to go back and see if I can find the owner but just wanted to get some experienced opinions first. Thanks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: leg\stand cleanup
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
I thought WSM legs were aluminum? But that doesn't mean there couldn't be rust stains dribbling down from a screw somewhere.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke That could be. I dont know. It may have been mud, grime etc. I didn't want to be messing with someone else grill (used or not) too much. Thats a good way to get a piece pulled on you, but if they're aluminum then that would clean up ok, right?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
Yes, aluminum cleanup is wet, soapy #0000 steel wool and some elbow grease. Super shiny will be Mother's Aluminum polish etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
My guess … Not aluminum.  Check with a magnet.

I rescued a "M" code (1990-91) Outrider with rusty legs near the bolts.  The legs were not aluminum.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/rust-removal/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
The original WSMs (C, D, E, for sure, possibly more) were made with steel legs and steel doors.
It is very possible that it is an old WSM and it is indeed rusty.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the advice and links. Appreciate it. I'm going to go back and try to track down the owner. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:26:59 AM »
Good luck in landing this one!  May the Force be with you.
One of the charcoal people.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Check the vent damper for that elusive 'B' code.  If it's a B-code, do what you must to procure that WSM ...                       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".