Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 20” Skillet for the Kettle and first cook  (Read 2204 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
20” Skillet for the Kettle and first cook
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
Got me the Camp Chef 20” Lumberjack carbon steel skillet to use on the kettle. It fits perfectly on the 22.5 kettle! And I did not attach the handle so the grill lid can be used without any obstacles :)

I started with boneless skinless chicken breasts that I sliced thinly to 1/4 inch thick and dredged in seasoned flour.  Browned them on the skillet

Moved them to a platter once they were fully cooked

Added mushrooms and asparagus next

And then added white wine, garlic, lemon juice, Italian parsley, olives with pimentos,  EVOO and spices.

Returned the chicken slices to the skillet

I let everything simmer in the sauce for few minutes and then removed the chicken slices

And topped them with the veggies, the remaining sauce, lemon wedges, Italian parsley, and scallions

It was a very tasty and easy meal and the skillet was a perfect companion for the kettle :)

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: 20” Skillet for the Kettle and first cook
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Interesting. $50 on Amazon.

Camp Chef SLJ20 20" Lumberjack - Seasoned Steel Skillet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MSC6OI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ZgNxwb1Q56W99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »
Dude that is a killer skillet! How did you set  up the coals underneath?

I've been looking for a mojo or discada and this looks like a pretty god option that's a little cheaper.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
Thanks jfbincypress for posting the link; I should have included it in my post.

@austin87

The skillet is very versatile and well made. It’s carbon steel, so it’s not as heavy as cast iron, but just as durable. I have a Discada, but I like the flat bottom of this skillet for certain applications. You can also cook variety of food on it at the same time. The high walls are great advantage and prevent food from falling into the grill. You can use it as a Paella pan or cook anything that requires sauces or simmering liquid. You could not do that in a wall-less type of vessel. And it doesn’t break the bank at $50 ;)

I used 3/4 of a chimney worth of charcoal for this cook. I arranged them in a single layer so they can cover as much as possible of the bottom of the skillet. I had perfect heat and they lasted the entire cooking process.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
Looks awesome, nice new pan!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »
That is very skillfully done for a first cook on a new piece of hardware. Great job. I'll bet that was good!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Really excellent photos Z! And love the new skillet!

For the flour dredge what sort of ratio do you use flour to rub? A few nights ago I made my first attempt at this and i tried 1:1. They came out real good but I'm curious what people who actually know what they are doing use? ;D 8)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Love the pan, great looking cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »
Thanks WNC :)

Thanks Jon :)

Thanks Matt :)
I probably used more rub than flour, since I only applied a light coat of flour to the chicken. It was just for the purpose of browning and preventing sticking. I wasn’t using the flour for purpose of breading. I would say 1:1 ratio sounds about right :)

Thanks Weldboy :)