Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie accessory  (Read 2127 times)

garykirby

• Happy Cooker
Rotisserie accessory
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new to the group. I just received my Weber kettle rotisserie from Amazon and it had this nifty little roller with it. I don't have a clue what it's for. Any ideas?
Thanks

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rotisserie accessory
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
It is a counterweight designed to balance an uneven load (like a chicken, where one side is heavier) supposedly to reduce strain on the motor.

Here's a blog (not by me) on how to use them
http://dadcooksdinner.com/2013/09/rotisserie-how-to-using-a-counterweight-and-why-i-dont.html/

I personally don't use them, but I don't cook on the rotisserie that often.

Welcome to the site!  What are you cooking on? Do you have Weberitis yet?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »
Weird that the author doesn't use, says there's no problem despite "Sure, it struggles a bit lifting heavier pieces of meat on the upswing, and then flops a bit on the downswing."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
I have one, and I use mine every cook. The dad cooks dinner guy blogged on the weber nation site about rotisserie set ups, and mentioned again he doesn't always use it.

I figure it came with it, and if it will reduce strain on the motor and make it last a little longer, why not. It's not that hard to put on.

Welcome! Whichever way you go post up some pictures. Welcome to club from "one of the spinning people"

garykirby

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
I've got some photos but I haven't figured out how to post them on the forum yet. Can I get some quick advice?

garykirby

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Jkolantern, thank you. That explained my counterweight question. Yes I do have the Weberitus bug. My wife collects lizards, I collect Weber.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
@garykiry here's a pic of it. Just snapped a pic of it.

And you can catch a glimpse of it here in this vid.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
     heres the heavy duty version

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:52:13 PM »
I never use them
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!