Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Getting Rusted Metal Wheels of Axel ( ideas)  (Read 3949 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Getting Rusted Metal Wheels of Axel ( ideas)
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
Got the thumbscrews out yesterday and removed the legs/ triangle assembly on my WBMW , but the wheels are a different problem.

I've been applying PB blaster for well over a week now and ive been gently trying to work them loose, but there not budging . It doesn't help that the triangle is in the way either.:( Today I opted to figure out a way to secure the piece and try and hit the wheels with a rubber hammer to see if they would break loose off the axel and again no luck, but I didn't hit hard or force the issue as I didn't want to damage a wheel. I'm thinking of rigging up a press with a small jack and couple blocks of wood wrapped in cloth to protect the wheels and seeing if I could gently press them off ?
Again I'm worried about damage so I don't know if that's my best option.

Any ideas or products that might help me out ? I've considered heat, but I think the red wheel paint might be in presentable condition so I don't want to melt paint if avoidable.

The PB blaster worked great on the thumbscrews , it took a week but I managed to gently work all three out in tact and in reusable condition , maybe I should just wait the PB blaster out on the wheels and axel and hope for the best.

Thanks for any advice

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

Re: Getting Rusted Metal Wheels of Axel ( ideas)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »
That's awesome you were able to get the thumbscrews out!

A few members have been raving about that evaporust, I wonder if it might be worth a shot? Also, you could try submerging one wheel at a time overnight in a small tupperware container of CLR to see if that helps free things up a bit...

Good luck!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
I'll try the CLR soak next it can't hurt and I'll see about the evaporust , does it damage the finish , anyone ?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
All I know about CLR is its MURDER on the aluminum ash pans. It pits them as I found out the hard way on one... :(

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
All I know about CLR is its MURDER on the aluminum ash pans. It pits them as I found out the hard way on one... :(

Craig did you soak overnight? I use it, but only while attended.
Idahawk don't let it win!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »

Craig did you soak overnight? I use it, but only while attended.
Idahawk don't let it win!

No, I was right there, I was sloshing it around an extremely stubborn ash pan and I started to notice little pits (about 30 seconds in) so I dumped, aborted and rinsed.. I still have and use the ash pan, but its got some mini scars..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
Sorry, not trying to threadjack... Ida, I do hope the wheels work free for you.

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
Just keep spraying it with PB and tap on the end of the axel with a ball peen hammer. If you do it a couple times a day it will eventually free up.  I know it isn't exciting but to works. 
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »

That's really interesting - CLR is a key part of my ash pan cleaning regiment! I swap a spray head right onto the CLR bottle and mist it directly onto the pan and either let it sit a bit or scrub at it with steel wool and gloves. No issues so far but perhaps I should be more cautious... thanks for the heads up. Was it an old flat edge or rolled edge pan? I wonder if the grade of material used to make the pans changed at any point?

Ida - Heat may also be your friend here if you have a small torch.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »
Was it an old flat edge or rolled edge pan? I wonder if the grade of material used to make the pans changed at any point?

'85 Rolled edge twist. Which is the lighter weight material like the newer ones.. I should have specified. I tried a spray mist on a 70s straight edge pan and it cleaned it right up no problem.

And +1 to the torch idea.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:03:09 PM by Craig »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
High jack away , this is life and death info , lol
Been tapping at least 3 times daily and re-applying PB every time I walk by just about. You guys aren't digging the press idea I take it ? Neither was i to be honest
Interesting on the CLR , sounds safe for today's metals but maybe older materials  , not so much. And thanks Greg I won't give in :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
You could try heating just the Axel with a torch. It will expand sightly, which may help loosen things up and create space for the pb blaster to work itself in.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:24:58 AM »
You may want to try a gear puller. I would back up the back side of the wheel though. Us heat at the same time, maybe magic will happen.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »
Try some patience.. Spray tap, wait.. Repeat.. The heat will definitely help.. 

If you have a container that will hold one end of the wheel submerged, try white vinegar.
Its cheap and it will work on the rust as well as anything.

Evaporust does work, but like any rusted material, you will be left with metal that has been damaged by rust.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..