Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time with drip beans  (Read 2331 times)

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
First time with drip beans
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »
Brother in law is smoking a pork butt, I decided to help out by making some drip beans. After seeing all the amazing looking beans on here it was a no brainer.  I tried to follow 1buckie's recipe.

Hoping they turn out well on the smoky mountain. The pork butt is seasoned 'Korean' style.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First time with drip beans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »

The color on that looks GRATE !!!!

Where I originally got the idea for 'drip beans' was from a guy doing them on a WSM, so it should be just fine...........I only go for a 4~5 hour portion of the cook, or they will get a bit too mushy.....

Lookin' good.....can't wait to see how you end out !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »
I've seen that idea, dripping into beans, and sounds pretty good, but how much of what drips is fat vs juice?

I like the idea of all of that flavour, but if it is just grease, that might be a bit much?
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
  Lerxst, most of the time, I go for the last 4~5 hours of the cookup......that way, the fattier portion of the show has already passed & you end up getting more of a flavoring aspect........

Most times, they will still be full of drip; in which case, the thing I do is mix the liquid thru & ladle some of it out of the top so they're not too runny / drippy..............

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Ended up great. Smoked for 4 hrs right in the middle of the time the butt was on the smoky mountain. Beans were tasty. Next time I will wash the canned beans a bit and add more honey to sweetin them up a little more.

Also the pork butt was delicious.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »
Please tell more about the "Korean style" it sounds like it would make great Momo Fuku. I've done it and made lettuce wraps with it and a side of rice.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »

Grate lookin' cookup !!!!

Nice pan 'o beans......works pretty good, eh?

I see you're already onto improvements you'd like......run with it & discover new ways to flavor them !!!!!!

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
Nice looking beans. I do the lazy version with cheap cans of baked beans , chopped green pepper and onion, tons of brown sugar , spicy bbq sauce and some bacon on top. Since the cheapo beans (.29 cents a can!) are still firm when opened, I pull before the butt is done and simmer the beans down on low heat. They are kinda runny but WOW! Next time the wife isn't going to be around to eat them I'm going to add some bourbon.Eat enough to start a toot festival.
91 kettle black , 22.5 OTG black, 18.5 OTS black, 76 Red Head MBH, 18.5in Smokey Mountain .