Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is my thinking correct on the use of the charcoal trays?  (Read 3015 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Is my thinking correct on the use of the charcoal trays?
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:08:27 AM »
My Weber Performer is my first Weber and since it came with the trays I've used them every time I have grilled (with the exception of the one time I used my Red Sky Pizza Stone).

For the most part, they work great and do what they are supposed to - however I have found when cooking burgers, steaks, etc that they aren't versatile enough to provide enough coverage to do more than 4 burgers or a few steaks/chicken breasts effectively.

Should I not use the trays when cooking for a family of 5 (in general)? I feel as though I could get a lot more coverage without them and perhaps more even heat/cooking.

Tips/Suggestions/Criticisms welcome!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:14:02 AM by Thunder71 »

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is my thinking correct on the use of the charcoal trays?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
You can just do a pile of coals for large cooks. I use the charcoal baskets for indirect zones or one small direct zone.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too... I tried to figure out ways to make the area larger using the trays (small gap between them, etc) but it just creates another uneven heat zone.

I'll give it a whirl without the trays next time and see what happens... and maybe start using them as you mentioned, for indirect cooking (or the rare occasion it's just my wife and I).

ccoiv

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
I'm new to the charcoal baskets myself. My 1st burger & dog cook was a disaster because I tried to use the baskets. I have since learned to use them as intended. I love that I now have the ability to shift my zones into multiple locations without them unintentionally joining somewhere.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »

Thunder.....I'm the exact opposite.....never  had them or used them until this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/blue-mt-sacramento-$35/msg26022/#msg26022

Early April this year & didn't even use them for a time after that.......

They're great for concentrating the heat in  a tight formation, some people have the hang of the 'Jim Minion Method" using them (small bit of lit charcoal to one end of a tray of unlit.....others have a tough time of it.......
I've had some good results filling the bottom of the tray w/ unlit & dumping a lot of lit on top.....the temp will extend or rise for a time doing that, but again the heat area seems more contained, in my limited experience........

You could try stepping out of the box ( or tray, in this case ) & pile lit in a 1/3 ~ 1/4 moon arc on one side, maybe two ~ three deep & have a larger area of heat to work with.......
Folks have discussed the idea that the piling or banking of coals contributes to the popping or 'crazing' of the porcelain on the outside of the kettle in the areas where the charcoal lies, but if you just use your head & maybe don't stack heavy against the side of the bowl, you'll be fine for years to come ...... ;D

There's also this:

Cookingmama's experiments with center pile coals & indirect all the way around, she cooks for a large family group has done really well that way.........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/pork-steaks/msg12280/#msg12280

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/flat-irons-ala-coal-saver/msg14689/#msg14689

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/game-day-goodies/

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »
That helps too, love me some flat iron steaks so that was of course the first link I clicked - now I'm hungry!

Thank you.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Thunder pick up some fire bricks. You can still make a direct/indict zone but you'll be able to fit more coals on the grate.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
Fire bricks you say... (time to Google). :)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
I don't really understand the baskets to be honest. I've never had a problem just dumping the coal along the side and stacking the bricks to make it more/less concentrated. Only thing I use them for now is to collect bricks that aren't completely spent for reuse later on.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »
I've been using them in my 68-70 red 18in grill a lot. Most of my grills are fairly standard and easier to replace. I don't mind banking the coals just shy of the edge kettle wall on those. But those baskets are kind of big in an 18in and work pretty well. Where on a 22 they always seemed small to me. Now that I think about it I never really bank all the way up the wall on a kettle. I just use the charcoal grate as my line to stop.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
I guess I was using them for their (not necessarily) unintended application, I can see how they are good for easily moving coals around, for indirect cooking, and for smaller direct grilling, but not really for several burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, etc.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
I never use them for holding charcoal, as shown in some of my other posts I do use them to elevate food above the grate...e.g. baking or making pizza. My problem with them is that if you fill them with lit coals the ash will snuff the air intake and your heat will die and if you use them for a Minion type setup they will work unless you need to add more fuel....the ash will fill the baskets and kill the fire. I have no issues with banking coals and am not concerned about ruining the finish by having the coals directly against the bowl......I never use wood for my primary fuel and never use a fire hot enough to melt or mis-shape my coal grate so I thing that the kettle can take the heat that I produce. I have tried to use the baskets in several different way but for me they aren't something I find useful and wouldn't miss them if I didn't have them.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
I use them often in the 26, but not for their intended purpose. I use them to keep the coals contained in a certain area. Here is a pic,

I do use the old wire, basket type when I am using the rotisserie with a drip pan in the middle.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

O T Platinum, that choking off the coals problem was what I was working with people on before I had them.....since I've been using them, I haven't had any problem.....YET !!!!

The elevating scheme you have is great.....the heat also gets to flow freely thru the upside down baskets to the pizza plate or baking pan....good thinking on that !!!!

Bbqmiller's retaining wall is a good plan also !!!!

I'd like to try 4 of them on axis around the perimeter of a pizza plate, raised per OTP's method & see what happens.....think it would come out pretty even?
Guess I'd actually need 6 to do that..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"