Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie question about burn time and hardwood charcoal  (Read 998 times)

Kettlette

• Happy Cooker
Newbie question about burn time and hardwood charcoal
« on: April 14, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »
Hi there! So we just got a Weber Kettle and loving it so far. However, I am using hardwood charcoal and the starter chimney to get it going. I find that I have a very short burn time, maybe 30 good, hot minutes, and that the amount of charcoal is not nearly enough to cover the bottom of the grill kettle in a single layer. Any tips or tricks out there to light it up with the right amount of fuel from the get go? Do I need to get a second starter chimney?

randy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Newbie question about burn time and hardwood charcoal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
What size is your chimney starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »
What brand of charcoal are you using?

I cant remember the last time I spread out my coals over the whole grill. I always have a hot side and a not so hot side.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »
Just add unlit to the lit that you have spread out. Use tongs to disperse the lit evenly.  Leave lid off until most of the coal has started to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »
@Kettlette  Without knowing what brand/type of charcoal you are using and the size of your chimney my only guess is you are letting the chimney burn too long before dumping it.  You don't have to wait till ALL the coals are ashed over to dump it.  My rule is once all the smoke stops coming out of the chimney I dump it.  Usually by this time the top coals have started to light around the edges but aren't fully lit or ashed over and I have plenty of heat for my needs.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 10:55:17 AM »
Not all lump is created equal and some burns up real fast
The above comments really do cover it, I think probably some level of dumping too late and having some unlit in the grill should take care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Not all lump is created equal
Such a true statement and something I wish I’d learned earlier.  It’s fun to experiment with different brands.

I only use a small charcoal chimney, but I’ve inverted the cone inside for more capacity.  These pics show when I spread out the lit pieces and then depending on how long my cook will need to last, I’ll add unlit pieces evenly on top.  In the past, I have foolishly underestimated the amount of fuel I’ll need and depending on the setup, it may be a PITA to refuel, so my practice is to add more than not enough.  I can always shut down and reuse what’s left next time versus risk a stalled out cook.