Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Quick post with a question  (Read 648 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Quick post with a question
« on: January 01, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
After tonight's cook I wanted to put a couple of fatties on for the work week.
I closed dampers and got the the kettle to 240, added wood chunks and robbed the water bowl from my smokey mountain 14 for some moisture. The fatties are still going and look good. So I understand it's just a couple of sausages but do you guys have an idea for a different configuration for the water? Or, no water? Any other tips or observations in general? Thanks in advance! I always appreciate the knowledge I get from the club here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Quick post with a question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:11:08 AM »
I generally use a water/drip pan under everything I smoke/grill. Although, I’ve done fatties without water. No water/drip=mess under fatties, crispier bacon, harder to cut up. The last is probably because of dull knife...lol. I’ve also done turkey in a large pan with no water pan. Sits in its own juices. Seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »
I rarely use water. I do use heavy duty foil or drip tray under the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
If you’re cooking with 80/20 meat, you don’t need the moisture.   It has plenty of fat as long as long as you don’t overcook it.  If your fatty had a bacon wrap, the water will probably hinder you from getting crisp bacon.  As you’re using it, the water is a heat sink to maintain steady low and slow. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »

If you’re cooking with 80/20 meat, you don’t need the moisture.   It has plenty of fat as long as long as you don’t overcook it.  If your fatty had a bacon wrap, the water will probably hinder you from getting crisp bacon.  As you’re using it, the water is a heat sink to maintain steady low and slow. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 05:40:34 PM »
No water. Just smoke till done.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the tips.  The fatties turned out good. I was wanting a crisper outside though, like the bark on a butt. I used the water to help keep the temp down but I wonder if the water prevented the bark. Maybe the sausage has too much fat for that though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app