Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: QC of new Webers  (Read 1402 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
QC of new Webers
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
I briefly looked into the Weber limited edition kettle - it's a limited edition, there can't be anything wrong with that, right? After a quick bit of reading I understand they apparently lack some serious QC. Are the current LE's still having these same issues or has Weber corrected the issue? Are all of the original kettles having these same issues? I was heavily considering either the original or the original premium. After hearing of the issues plaguing the LE's, it makes me wonder if I should hold off a bit on buying a new grill. Would love some opinions and experiences. Thank you in advance.

Matt

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: QC of new Webers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:18:52 AM »
I haven't purchased anything new so cant speak from personal experience.  But I recall hearing the majority of the issues were pretty much limited to the LE. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
The le was made in China due to the red color. All else made here that I’m aware of. Either way, none of that should cause any pause. ANY Weber kettle is 10x better than any other charcoal grill on the market at comparable pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:18:04 AM »
The advent of the internets and social media has ruined any further chance of Weber making more legacy colors like yellow or other that they stopped making.  Weber admitted that the first run of them had some issue, however, some of the "issues" were so overblown.  Example, porcelain in the legs socket issue this was a huge issue for people,  only thing is, look at any 70's, 80 or newer grill and the same thing exists, it is a non issue.  I have one and while I do have an issue with Weber's marketing of the product "limited" edition when there are so many that Home Depot was blowing them out at $99.  I have no issues with the grill itself.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
The only models I am aware of having QC problems are the Chinese production models I.E. the Limited Edition Red, and the Jumbo Joe Premium. The LE has finish problems, and the JJP has fastener issues (shutters not riveted on, but held on with poor quality screws / nuts). The JJP is an easy cheap fix, the LE is kind of a bad move I think...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

yippee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not really decided on what I want yet, but what I do know for sure, is it will be a Weber. Webers have been all I have considered since thinking about getting back in the game. I was just wondering if QC on all Webers had gone down or just the LEs, and that has been answered. LE still isn't out of the question at this point. Really I think it will just boil down to whatever I can get the right deal on at the right time, honestly. They're all really nice grills from what I have seen so far.

So the issues have been fixed on the newer LE models then?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »
I agree with @LightningBoldtz .  Too much has been made out of some issues with the red LE.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
I agree with @LightningBoldtz .  Too much has been made out of some issues with the red LE.
I agree as well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
The advent of the internets and social media has ruined any further chance of Weber making more legacy colors like yellow or other that they stopped making.  Weber admitted that the first run of them had some issue, however, some of the "issues" were so overblown.  Example, porcelain in the legs socket issue this was a huge issue for people,  only thing is, look at any 70's, 80 or newer grill and the same thing exists, it is a non issue.  I have one and while I do have an issue with Weber's marketing of the product "limited" edition when there are so many that Home Depot was blowing them out at $99.  I have no issues with the grill itself.

I have 3 and have no complaints
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!