Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pepper Stout Beef #4  (Read 1864 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pepper Stout Beef #4
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Simpler, better this time

I used a pre-made rub this time instead of salt and pepper. Easier, faster to apply (but of course, costlier). One of the Weber beef or burger ones. A few small tweaks here and there. Ran it up to almost 210 and it pulled easily.

The potatoes rocked it on a 2nd grill, in an uncovered cast iron pan. These were 4 or 5 small ones cut up, half a stick of butter, some Caesar and some bleu cheese dressings, a little S and P, garlic, onion, maybe something else I've forgotten. I was instructed by the girl to add them to the Thanksgiving menu!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pepper Stout Beef #4
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
Oh damn! The bacon! I forgot to mention the bacon on the potatoes, heh.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Pepper Stout Beef #4
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Wow Dave, that looks incredible! Those potatoes sound very good. I was surprised a little by the Caesar and blue cheese dressing. Thinking more about it though, sounds like they would go together very well. Well done man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:39:47 PM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:21:33 AM »
That all looks great. Did the potatoes and the other ingredients all go in cold / raw and at the same time and cook completely on the grill?  Just curious. I would like to try those. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:20:59 AM »
All that looks delicious!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:06 AM »
T -- I had just done some kinda Caeser-parmesan chicken thing in the oven the other day, where instead of being a creamy sauce like the recipe promised, the dressing disappeared. The chicken was fine but I could detect hardly any Caeser flavor when done.

So I had leftover dressing and I'm on a permanent quest to purge the fridge, especially before next week. My rationale is that creamy dressings are largely mayo and veg oil, and mayo is seasoned eggs, sorta, so why not? The sharpness of the bleu cheese dressing nicely spiked the flavor, and everything stayed creamy. I'm a lazy sumbitch and will often reach for these kinds of shortcut ways to season.

HK -- I used two grills. Could have used one 22.5" if I had a smaller vessel for the meat, but it was easier to just leave it be and fire up a second machine. And normally, this recipe calls for something larger than the 2.5lbs meat clod I used (chuck roast), so I don't know if that's really much of an option if additionally fitting a 10" round pan for veggies.

Pepper Stout Beef is a two-stage, multi-hour cook but ridiculously easy and damn near fool-proof, which is why this fool likes it and the family praises it. Smoke the meat for 2-3 hours. Take it off basically whenever you like, or as the clock dictates. The recipe says at about 160 but I missed it and removed it at 175. Doesn't matter at all. Put the meat into a deep pan that has everything else, the peppers/beer. Disposable foil pans work great.* Foil the pan (or put a lid on if using a dutch oven) and put it back on the grill, albeit this time give it more heat. That second stage is another 2-3 hours. I had lit fresh charcoal, a small chimney, and filled one charcoal basket for the second stage.

Just Google it or search here, and follow any recipe; they're all similar. And simple.

* Be careful when pulling the meat apart when finished, as forks or bear claws can rip through the bottom of a disposable foil pan.

The potato dish was put on the second grill cold, about an hour from the meat's expected finish line, or about the latest we wanted to wait to eat. :) I guess that second grill had medium heat, indirect.

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
Everything looks delicious. I will definitely try those potatoes with Cesar & Blue Cheese dressing. Thanks for sharing.

It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
We never make our own pizza, but have two small jars of white pizza sauce. The list of ingredients reads like lots of cheese and lots of cream.

Next potato dish will get that instead of the salad dressings. :)

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »

Simpler, better this time

I used a pre-made rub this time instead of salt and pepper. Easier, faster to apply (but of course, costlier). One of the Weber beef or burger ones. A few small tweaks here and there. Ran it up to almost 210 and it pulled easily.

The potatoes rocked it on a 2nd grill, in an uncovered cast iron pan. These were 4 or 5 small ones cut up, half a stick of butter, some Caesar and some bleu cheese dressings, a little S and P, garlic, onion, maybe something else I've forgotten. I was instructed by the girl to add them to the Thanksgiving menu!

Dang! That looks very tasty!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
Man that looks good!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »
DAYUM ! ! !