Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Loin Ribeye Roast  (Read 1209 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pork Loin Ribeye Roast
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
Another simple, quick, weekday cook!

I’d never before seen “ribeye” used, when describing pork. What does it imply? More tender than tenderloin? More “beefy” (heh) than loins (so to speak)? I bought a small one, just over 1.5lbs.

I started with this recipe, an herb-like thing, not a “BBQ”-like thing: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sunday-pork-roast FYI, most Google searches for pork loin ribeye toast seem to return these sort of herb recipes instead of "BBQ" recipes. So I took the hint ...

I did not have the celery, onions, forgot trying to use brown sugar and used the entire flour mixture on a roast half as big as it called for. The meat didn’t produce enough juice for any gravy, either, but was very tender and juicy nonetheless. So just use the ingredients as a starting point. First time coating meat with a flour mixture, and it shows. :)

I cooked it on my mini WSM running somewhere between 250-325 (started hot; I thought it might run away and closed it down a little before opening it wide later ...) on a small chimney’s worth of coals and a little bit of apple smoke wood. No heatshield/drip pan since I stole the toaster oven’s tray for this cook!

Right when I placed it on the cooker, this image will not make the next Weber recipe book:

Right off the cooker, it still looked pretty damn lame. Undercooked, by appearances. That flour overload, again … But my Thermapen had shown readings anywhere from 155-185, all deeply internal, which of course left me wondering why the hell I even bought the thing. I didn’t consider the roast to be THAT unevenly sized.

I placed a few carrots on the tray to cook, for the last half of the event. They had a nice cooked-crunch to them. Traditional, soft cooked carrots hit the trashcan here.

A simple plate, with steamed broccoli:

At $3/lb or so, this is not an expensive meat but holy cow, is it ever TENDER, tasty, and stupidly-forgiving for how to cook regarding cooker temp, meat temp, and time. I don't see how you can lose with it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Loin Ribeye Roast
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
Very nice...Looks good from here...

This is the type of pork I would brine and then sear on a hot grill...Finish indirect...

Probably wouldn't turn out any better than yours though...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
Wow, that'd be all kinds of different from how I did mine; I'll have to try it though, thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
Wow, that'd be all kinds of different from how I did mine; I'll have to try it though, thanks.

Not trying to dismiss your method...
I love floured/breaded meat on the grill/smoker...
Maybe next time rub the meat with some oil and keep the flour coating light...
That way it has a chance to "crust up" a bit...
As for the herb flavor profile on a pork roast...Hell yes...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
Never heard of it either. Damn good looking plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:58:01 AM »
I would eat that. Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app