Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling for 7-8 people, chicken, corn and potatoes.  (Read 1177 times)

Sandrion

• Smokey Joe
Grilling for 7-8 people, chicken, corn and potatoes.
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
This coming up Saturday I've agreed to prepare chicken quarters, corn on the cob and potatoes for a get together of about 7-8 people. I want to use my new 26er.

Now, my questions are, how would I go about it? The way I usually grill corn takes about 30-45 minutes. And potatoes usually take a while also, although I've never done them on the grill. As for chicken, I was thinking of doing the snake method. Would that suffice?

Thanks for any input you may have.
I keep saying i have all I need. Then I buy another.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Grilling for 7-8 people, chicken, corn and potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
It all depends on how you do the potatoes/corn.

You could go with a short snake that's built up on one side (18" long).

However, if it were me...I'd put the charcoal baskets or vortex in the center. Vents wide open.

How are you planning on doing the potatoes? If baked, wrap them in foil and put them on the outside edge of the kettle first. Lid back on.

10-15 min later, then corn next to them (not sure if you're foil wrapping, leaving husks on, naked, etc.).

Then chicken in around outer edge of the charcoal in the center. When the chicken is done indirect, sear them and pull them.

That's probably how I'd do it (depending on how you're doing your potatoes). You should have enough room and with some prep you can get everything done at once.

Sandrion

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Definitely planning on baking the potatoes. So you're saying to fill the baskets, and stage them in the center vortex style. Wrap the potatoes, and array them around the outside, let them cook for 10-15 minutes, then add the corn. I'm wrapping the corn in foil with the husk on, butter and salt pepper inside the husk.   How long until the chicken gets added to the inside edge of the charcoal.    After that, sear the chicken then pull it. As well as everything else.
I keep saying i have all I need. Then I buy another.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Fill the baskets and slide them to one side...Or skip the baskets and just spread the coals one one side...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »
I'd like more lead time between potatoes and corn. I'll leave potatoes on a good hour or more but corn not more than 20-30 mins; l like some crunch to the kernels and not mushy.

The other day I wrapped potatoes and put them in the basement with the two charcoal baskets near kettle wall. Plenty of room for corn and later, meat, up top.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »
Cooking 8 leg quarters, 8 baked potatoes and 8 ears of corn, all at the same time, could be a bit challenging, even on a 26. I'd probably do the corn and potatoes first, getting them almost done and stack them as far from the heat as possible. Add coal, if necessary, and put the leg quarters on. Use your charcoal baskets, or pile your coals on one side of the kettle and cook indirect. Cooking indirect, at about 375*, it should take about 1.5 hours total cook time.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
I actually did small baked potatoes this way today...took about an hour. If you have larger bakers, they will take longer. Remember the corn'n'tater ring weber used to make?
Instead of pointing in, just circle them around end to end.

Maybe take @addicted-to-smoke's idea of potatoes in the basement...which is a great idea BTW and then...just move the corn to the outer edge of the cooking grate (above the potatoes). You should have no problem getting 8 quarters on there with a vortex. Charcoal baskets usually take a little more room, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
Nuke the potatoes until cooked, spatchcock the chickens. Cook the chickens and finish the potatoes together on the kettle. Cook the corn directly over the coals while the chicken is resting.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »
Use a second grill for corn and potatoes?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere