Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked cheese  (Read 1367 times)

billham

• Smokey Joe
Smoked cheese
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
Anyone cold smoke cheese on their kettle was thinking I could do this with my kettle as it's going to be cold tomorrow or I could use my wsm either way I'm gonna use a amazen smoker. Was thinking half cherry half pecan or apple. Any suggestions are appreciated

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoked cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »
I do it on the kettle often. I typically use cherry, apple or maple. Kettle works great. Are you using the maze or the tube?

billham

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:06 AM »
I'll be using the maze

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
I also do it with a kettle quite frequently.  I use the Amazen maze with a fruit wood sawdust either apple or cherry.  Not much to suggest.  I usually fill the maze about half it's length or so and let it run for 3-5 hours or so.  My wife generally gets the cheeses so I don't pay much attention to that.  Softer cheeses seem to "take" more smoke.  I've done this in temps up to 50-60 degrees.  When it's warmer you may need to keep the kettle out of the sun or drape it with a white towel (don't cover the vent) to reflect back the sun's rays as the kettle can warm up and soften the cheese.  After it's done we seal it in vacuum sealed bags, using a hand held vacuum sealer.  Don't put it in the fridge unsealed or wrapped, as the smoke smell is really strong.  We let it "age" a couple of weeks or so before starting to use it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »
I smoke a lot of cheese.  Just search the forum for "smoked cheese" and "cheese smoke" and you should find a lot of posts.   I usually smoke cheese for 4-6 hours, mostly 6 unless I'm on a time crunch.  You'll need to seal up the cheese post smoking and let it sit in the fridge for 7-10 days before eating it.  The Smoke needs time to mellow out through the cheese. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
Oh, also...flip your cheese halfway through.  I'm not sure why, but the smoke tends to absorb into the top of the cheese more than the bottom. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!