Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef short rib nuggets  (Read 1197 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Beef short rib nuggets
« on: October 09, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
Stopped at the grocery store today getting kids lunches for the week and saw a couple HUGE short rib nuggets for sale. Threw them on the performer using Stubb's and a few chunks of sassafras I've been wanting try. I was working around the house and it gave me a chance to break in the new Maverick that @Cellar2ful had mentioned a short while back. It was nice not to have to continually go outside to check temp. For $20 the ET-71 is a great deal.

Hers some pics

Salt, pepper, chipotle chili seasoning

Good stuff

Tried not wrapping today. A little dryer imo. Still very good. I like using butcher paper and find it really helps with moisture. I should have spritzed in hindsight. Very subtle tones with the sassafras wood. Ok stuff. Not my favorite though.

This little guy was awesome. Lost signal once, but came back in after a few minutes. Well worth the $20 for all you cheap asses out there, like myself.

Take care fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beef short rib nuggets
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
Great looking bark on the ribs Travis. Love my Maverick for longer cooks. Very nice to monitor the temp remotely.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
@Travis Those look awesome. How long did you let them go? I've had some bad results with short ribs and I'm trying to figure it out.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
@Travis Those look awesome. How long did you let them go? I've had some bad results with short ribs and I'm trying to figure it out.
They went for 6 hrs at 280ish. What problems have you had?

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:24 AM »
Ahaha great looking ribs man. I grabbed that same thermometer for $17.99 on Amazon a couple weeks ago and used it on some ribs last Friday. That thing worked like a champ!

BB King
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:36:59 AM »
They went for 6 hrs at 280ish. What problems have you had?

The last time I tried them they were very tough and a little dry.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:23:22 AM »
@JDD. Don't know what you've cooked at before, but they say beef ribs like the higher temps. I haven't tried anything under 270 yet. 280-300 works very well.
 I have always wrapped them with butcher paper once I got the color and texture I liked. It doesn't steam or soften the bark like aluminum foil, but retains moisture. I didn't wrap this cook to see and they were drier and had a deeper bark. I should have spritzed them and that would have helped. I'll definitely wrap from now on. Personal preference.

@Bustin Butt. Yeah bro, I was super happy with that Maverick! It was nice to get stuff done and not have to go in and out to check or lift the lid. Totally worth the $20!

Thanks fellas!