Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot 'N Fast Pork Butts / Weber Performer  (Read 989 times)

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Hot 'N Fast Pork Butts / Weber Performer
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
This cook was done on my Gen 2 Weber Performer running the Slow ‘N Sear charcoal accessory. The temperature used was about 325-340 degrees measured on the cooking grid.

The two  butts were pretty large and weighed a total of 19.4 pounds. I trimmed the fat off of the fat side and then cut each butt into two pieces. This will give me about 25% more surface area for bark and also cut the cooking time down as the pieces are smaller.
The butts were then injected with Chris Lilly’s 6 time World Champion pork injection and then rubbed with SGH rub.

Ready to go on the kettle

I believe I had a full load on the Performer!

Got this cook started about daylight this morning and hoping to get the cook done by about noon before it gets too hot.

Cooked the butts for about 2hours and 45 minutes and then wrapped them with some Stubb’s Pork Marinade and placed them back on the grill.

After a little over three more hours, I started getting the butts off of the cooker. The total cooking time was 6.2 hours.

After a rest period, I unwrapped the meat and got it ready to pull.

The results of my cook...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Hot 'N Fast Pork Butts / Weber Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
Looks great.  I've seen a lot of 300-325 butts, but haven't seen a 400.  I'm guessing it still came out as juicy as doing slow and low???
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
I think I saw the grate sagging a little! You had that sucker loaded down! Are they affected any with them cut in half like that and cooking at a higher temp? I think the highest I've cooking one at is 280ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
Look at that capacity - is there anything a 22" kettle can't do?

Trying to wrap my head around a 6 hr cook for that much butt just sprained my mind...
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
I have cooked butts at higher temps before.  They seem to be very forgiving.  Nice cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson