Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Quick tri tip - Updated with cheesesteak pics  (Read 1442 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Quick tri tip - Updated with cheesesteak pics
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
Haven't posted a cook in a while.  Needed to cook a tri tip I had in the fridge today.  Had a conference call get cancelled so I sprung into action.  I got a litlet more than half a chimney of kbb going.  Rubbed the tri tip down with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little bit of Montreal steak seasoning.  Dumped the coals into a basket with a couple chunks of mesquite and let the 26er do its thing.  Start off around 375 and ended around 315 with the bottom vent pretty much shut down.  This was a quick and easy cook as opposed to slow and low.  Pulled it off around 120 IT.  Will let it rest then slice it up for cheesesteaks this evening. 

Oh, and I should mention that I got the tri tip 50% off for no apparent reason.  My local Safeway always has random packages of meats with discount stickers on them.  This one was still 4 days from the sell by date when I got it over the weekend. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:50:23 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Quick tri tip
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
Looks good Mike!

Do you trim the fat cap or leave it be? Reason I asked was I was on a float trip this weekend and scored some tri tip at the local store. I've always trimmed them down so I can get that silver skin off.

Where I live there is no tri tip so I have my butcher cut it for me and takes it down as well.

Look at this cap! Got great marbling though!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: Quick tri tip
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »
@Travis -  I did not trim my fat cap as there wasn't much on it.  Just small portion of the wider part of the cut had a fat cap and it wasn't very thick.  I'm going to use my meat slicer to thin slice it for cheesesteaks so the fat on each peice will be fairly minimal once sliced.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »
Thanks Mike. I might try leaving it on just to see.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
@Travis  -  I did mean to put it with the fat side up and forgot when I put it on the grill.  It only took an hour or so, so I don't think it would have made the slightest difference.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
Tri tip is a great idea.  Have not cooked one in a while.  Looks good!   
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »
Put the tri tip in the fridge to get it cold and ready for slicing.  Sliced it up then cooked in a pan with sautéed onions then finished with America cheese.  And who doesn't like tots?!!!! 

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Re: Quick tri tip - Updated with cheesesteak pics
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
Very well done! That's a great looking sandwich. And you're right, the tots go with everything!
Growing family = growing kettles!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Hey Mike, that looks great! I could totally see why you could leave the fat cap on when using it for steak sandwiches. I see you added some onion to it as well. Great looking sandwich. I'll have to copy that one. Thanks

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:38 PM »
Nice cheese steak sammie!  Cool slicer.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson