Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib Roast Help Please  (Read 2108 times)

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
Rib Roast Help Please
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm going to be cooking the prime rib this year on my Weber Kettle.  I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

1 - The roast is between 5-6lbs.  I'm going to use baskets and cook indirect, possibly a quick sear at the end.  I don't want to go low and slow, but I don't want a raging fire either.  Any ideas or suggestings on temp?  To add to this dilemma, I'm not all that confident about temperatures.  I usually use a vortex for wings/thighs/searing, and a snake for low and slow.  I plan on using 2 full baskets of charcoal, both vents open almost the entire way.  Does this sound too hot?

2 - Can I get a pretty rough idea of time?  I'd like it to be done around 4:30.  If I can get the kettle temp around 350, should I put the roast on around 1:30?

3 - I'm assuming I'll need to rest this piece of meat for 30 minutes after it's done?

Thanks a lot.  I'm trying to impress my Dad, so I'd love to nail this one.  I'm loosely basing this cook of the recipe in APL's Serious BBQ, but I plan on using a slightly higher cooking temp. 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rib Roast Help Please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
Question:

Do you want your PR slices to have a consistent edge to edge color like this ?

Or do you prefer more of a "bullseye" effect with the outer edges of each slice being more done than the inner parts ?

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:04:52 AM »
I think I'd prefer the Bullseye.  I'm assuming that's a higher temp?

Thanks

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 05:50:46 AM »
At 350 it'll cook for about 15+ min./lb.

Using two baskets youll need about 25 briqs/side to start and 8 briqs/side every hourish.

Depending on the conditions in mother nature's kitchen.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 07:06:04 AM »
I think I'd prefer the Bullseye.  I'm assuming that's a higher temp?

Thanks

Yeah, the higher the temp, the more pronounced the effect.

Also, fwiw, PR cooktime isn't determined by the pound but rather, by the thickness of the loin.  If you have a 20lb PR that is 5 inches thick, it you cut off 8lbs, it will still take the same amount of time.

At 350ish, you are looking at around 3 hours or less for a PR that is 5 to 6 inches thick presuming that it comes right out of the fridge.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:47:38 PM »
Don't know if this helps or hinders by 12/27, but I always cook boneless PR (on a Roti).  Shape it into as compact a cylinder as possible, tie with butchers twine to hold that shape, dry brine with Kosher Salt and Baking Soda overnight.  Two hours before cooking, rinse in water, pat dry, apply EVOO and your favorite beef rub.  Cook temps 325-350.  Two baskets one on each side of a drip pan.  HFG's coal count should work ok, monitor the kettle temp at the level of the Roti.  NOW, if you want Med Rare, then check w/ a ThermaPen at 1 hour and every 7-8 minutes after that.  My experience is that a PR can go from 130 (perfect for MedRare) to Med Well in a flash.  Pull it at 130, let it rest and carve the best PR money can by.  I always use Hickory Wood for smoke, it's PR it can handle it ...                                    SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
Just wanted to do a quick follow up.

Rib turned out great!  I used two full baskets to start, but quickly realized that was going to be too hot so I removed one of the baskets and that seemed to put me in a good heat zone.  Grate temp read around 350 or so.  I pulled it at 125 and it was awesome.  I'm heading back over to my parents to "cater" the NYE party tomorrow.  Pulled Pork, ribs, ABT's, and chicken wings.

Very excited.  I told him I need more than 1 kettle to do all that stuff so it looks like I'm getting a late Christmas present.  Woohoo!