Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prime Rib  (Read 2583 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Prime Rib
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
Had family in town this weekend. Decided to do a standing rib roast (prime rib). I've eaten lots of prime rib before but this is my first ever prime rib that I've done. I should turn in my Nebraska card let alone my WKC card for admitting that I hadn't done one before.  :-[

Stuffed some garlic cloves (4) into some slits I cut through the fat cap into the meat before rubbing in olive oil and then the rub..

A local Nebraska coffee rub that I love!

All done and pulled off the grill. Internal temp at 125-126 degrees. Medium rare. (My favorite)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:59:32 PM by Craig »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Prime Rib
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:32 AM »
Did you do a horseradish sauce with it?  Looks awesome BTW, I did one this season, overcooked it slightly, guests liked it that way.  It was still amazing.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:56:09 AM »
That looks perfect Craig, just beautiful. Keep the Nebraska card and the WKC card as you have redeemed
yourself most excellently.  You picked a right nice looking cooker for the job too.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:20:48 AM »
That looks fantastic, Craig!!  First you admitted it … Then cooked this beauty!  No problem … You're good in my books.  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:30:13 AM »
Just perfect. Just the way I like it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
Lots of folks have never tried Prime Rib smoked before....not one of the big bbq cuts I guess. Yours looks beauty so your experience is showing through. That is one fine arse cooker you got there too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
not one of the big bbq cuts I guess.

I donno,  it is a pretty expensive cut of cow, usually in the ten bucks a pound range in my area..  :'(
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
Man Card earned.  The best cut on a vintage kettle - pretty much the pinnacle of charcoal cooking.  Great job!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
Thanks guys! Lightningboldtz. I bought a small jar of horseradish sauce. I'm the only one that likes it with prime rib. Everyone else wanted steak sauce or au ju. It was $8.48/lb. I'll probably do a smaller one for immediate family maybe this spring or early summer. After tasting it, I don't know if I can wait a whole year before doing another . The dozen people we had over devoured it! ;D

Sent from my iOS via Tapatalk

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
Prime Rib usually goes on sale in one of the local supermarket's around the third week of November through
the first of the year and they are priced at 6.99 a pound, I usually grab one in the 6 to 8 pound range before
Thanksgiving and then another one about the same size in December.

I just thought about it and I can't recall having any PR's at any other time of year and I don't have any clue as
to why that is.. Guess I'll have to change that issue this year..