Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas pulled pork dilemma  (Read 3041 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Christmas pulled pork dilemma
« on: December 22, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »
So I've decided to make pulled pork for our Christmas brunch this year. The plan was that we would eat by 10am. My SIL is supposed to eat lunch at noon with her BF's family. So that is a pretty hard deadline. I initially thought that I'd throw the pork shoulder on the kettle in after work. However, we have Christmas eve service at 6:30pm and then we are supposed to go to my brothers after for pizza. My wife is terrified of leaving the house with a grill that is lit. In fact, she doesn't love the idea of having a grill lit over night.

I'm worried that my 8lb picnic will not be ready in time if I wait till I get home from my brothers. Now, this morning I learned that Wednesday night it is supposed to thunderstorm and be very windy. There are way too many obstacles and I don't want to screw this up.

So I'm condisdering smoking the meat tomorrow right after work over night. The downside is that I'll have to work the following morning but I have a 2 year old. I'm already sleep deprived. lol.

My question is, whats a good way to reheat the pork a day later? I don't want to be dry so I imagine I'll need to reintroduce some liquid but what is the best way?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
Re: Christmas pulled pork dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:54:14 AM »
Vacuum seal it and then reheat in simmering water.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »
Whenever I've reheated pulled pork, I've used a crock pot on low and covered. I usually pour in a few tablespoons of Apple juice to bring it back to life.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
Ive had pork reheated both ways mentioned above and they were both excellent.

It sounds like you've got a full schedule. If you have the crockpot that might be the way to go as it can be left alone to do its thing.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
Personal perference is to cook it all the way thru to where the bone wiggles free, then a short rest so it's not screamin' hot, break into several large chunks (softball sized), bag & chill down quick in an ice bath.....
Re-heating seems to go a little better using the large pieces as opposed to fully pulled / shredded....
Stays more moist that way......
I start the re-heat in big chunks & pull as it warms up a bit......seems to go pretty well & if it seems a tad dry, add in a little apple juice or mojo cirrillo liquid.....

Have a great dinner, or series of dinners it appears this is going to be ...... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
Start it on the grill to get some smoke on it then finish in oven.  Or cook a day earlier...it reheats well.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:47:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll be starting it this evening.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »
If you're looking to introduce some moisture, this finishing sauce is amazing.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/51933/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 04:48:39 AM »
To conclude this thread. Christmas morning I placed the pulled pork covered into the oven. I brought it up to 225 for a little while then up to 275. There were no issues if it drying out. This was by far the best pulled pork I ever had.