Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First spatchcocked chicken  (Read 1322 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
First spatchcocked chicken
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »
The girlfriend wanted BBQ chicken for dinner (her mom always made gasser grilled chicken breast with BBQ sauce on it) so I decided to get a whole bird and spatchcock it. I forgot to take pics in progress so here's a pic of the burned out grill the next morning. Two baskets at the back basically next to each other pushed against the sides, I felt like this gave the most room, it was a pretty good sized chicken at 6 lbs or so. Big drip pan underneath to keep everything clean, legs were pointed towards the baskets.

It took a little over an hour, cooked indirect the whole way with some hickory smoke and the dome therm reading 450-500. I bought a Maverick but haven't set it up yet.

Overall it turned out great. It was really juicy. I made a quick rub with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, cumin, coriander, and Mexican oregano. Brushed a little store bought sauce on at the end. Next time I'd like to let it rest uncovered in the fridge for a day before cooking, I hear that's the trick to really crispy skin.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: First spatchcocked chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »
That looks delicious!
How did the GF like it compared to what her mom usually does?  Or, should I even ask.  ??? :-X ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
That looks delicious!
How did the GF like it compared to what her mom usually does?  Or, should I even ask.  ??? :-X ;)

Good question, and yes it was a winner! Her mom's a great cook but the grill isn't her thing   8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Nice roaster.....so the baskets atan angle.....yet another way to set up.....

People are coming up with all kinds of great charcoasl setups here !!!

Thanks !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »
Great looking chicken!