Charcoal Reviews - What factors are most important?

Started by Troy, October 19, 2024, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I'll be adding a section to the website for charcoal review, and I'll be making in-depth reviews (with video).

What are the most important considerations when you're choosing charcoal?
Which charcoal(s) are your favorite and why?

swamprb

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

Quote from: swamprb on October 22, 2024, 05:20:19 PMNaked Whiz style!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

funny enough, i was in contact with the naked whiz long before I even got my first Weber!!

michaelmilitello

B&b orange bag briquettes.   Burns hotter and longer.    Just wood char and binder.   The briquettes are huge.   $9.99 at Academy. 

Fogo for lump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

#1 Cowboy Briquettes - Twin Pack from Walmart for best value.

#2 B&B Briquettes from Ace or Jealous Devil Briquettes from Walmart.

I mainly use the Cowboy due to the cost and it does a great job for most grilling cooks. I've figured out how to use some of the leftover for the next cook too. They don't get as hot, or last as long as the B&B or JD.

If I plan the smoke some meat, I'll use the B&B Briquettes. I'm pretty settled on using the snake method on my kettles. I have a Slow & Sear for my 26, but prefer the snake.

Living in San Diego, there just isn't a whole lot of quality briquettes to choose from. I've tries all the Kingsford stuff, B&B. Jealous Devil, Blues Hog.

I do happen to have two bags of Weber Briquettes left, just in case of I don't know what! Hands down, these are the best performing briquette I have ever used.

For now, the Cowboy Briquettes are my preferred charcoal.

Troy

Quote from: Jason on October 24, 2024, 12:12:29 PM#1 Cowboy Briquettes - Twin Pack from Walmart for best value.

#2 B&B Briquettes from Ace or Jealous Devil Briquettes from Walmart.

I mainly use the Cowboy due to the cost and it does a great job for most grilling cooks. I've figured out how to use some of the leftover for the next cook too. They don't get as hot, or last as long as the B&B or JD.

If I plan the smoke some meat, I'll use the B&B Briquettes. I'm pretty settled on using the snake method on my kettles. I have a Slow & Sear for my 26, but prefer the snake.

Living in San Diego, there just isn't a whole lot of quality briquettes to choose from. I've tries all the Kingsford stuff, B&B. Jealous Devil, Blues Hog.

I do happen to have two bags of Weber Briquettes left, just in case of I don't know what! Hands down, these are the best performing briquette I have ever used.

For now, the Cowboy Briquettes are my preferred charcoal.

Funny, I had saved my last bag of Weber briqs just to review them, but i got desperate and finally used them after holding on to them for 2+ years.

Have you tried the B*B Competition Char Logs?
I'm glad you said something about the Cowboy briqs... I haven't used that brand in years

reillyranch

Hey Troy-
I used to work for B&B and the charlogs are great for long slow cooks (unless they changed the production method after Duraflame bought them).  They are compressed 3x more than the briquettes so there is more mass and burn times.  They take a bit longer to light up and don't give off a lot of smoke bur that's what chunks are for.  I've seen comp guys line them up vertically in a barrel and light one end and they will burn for days.  Ed

Troy

Quote from: reillyranch on October 24, 2024, 03:14:34 PMHey Troy-
I used to work for B&B and the charlogs are great for long slow cooks (unless they changed the production method after Duraflame bought them).  They are compressed 3x more than the briquettes so there is more mass and burn times.  They take a bit longer to light up and don't give off a lot of smoke bur that's what chunks are for.  I've seen comp guys line them up vertically in a barrel and light one end and they will burn for days.  Ed

I love stacking them vertically in my chimney when I light them. They definitely can burn hotter than reggie briqs.

I think my last back of the logs was bad, but current bag is much better

bamakettles

Jealous Devil XL lump is my favorite by far and now Home Depot carries it locally for a fair price.  I still have many bags of B&B orange bag, but rarely use it or any other briquettes.  Too much ash with the briqs and I'm spoiled by the mild flavor of JD lump.

Jason

Quote from: Troy on October 24, 2024, 02:23:57 PMHave you tried the B*B Competition Char Logs?

Yes! I forgot about those when posting yesterday. The Char Logs are an excellent choice when using my Kettle Pizza. Pretty sure I referenced them in one of my pizza cook posts on here.