« Last post by michaelmilitello on May 26, 2024, 07:05:57 PM »
Taps playing ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Homemade Burrito Cook
« Last post by michaelmilitello on May 26, 2024, 06:24:10 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Re: Friday pork chops and shrimp
« Last post by Lightning on May 26, 2024, 06:08:37 PM »
Awesome cook!  Ive seen videos of people shopping in Canada and the food prices were crazy high compared to here.  Is that true or is that just certain areas?

It's insane.  And it's everywhere here.

It would be a serious understatement to say that food prices in Canada have been controversial.

Right now, one of the major grocery chains is being boycotted.  It's being debated in the media how widespread the actual boycott is and whether or not it'll be effective.  Every day in the media there are stories about shrinkflation or bad products at high prices, you name it.  The federal government's competition bureau is investigating the big grocery chains again but everyone is skeptical about whether or not there will be any findings of wrongdoing or any meaningful consequences if there are.  Everyone remembers the bread price fixing scandal from a few years ago and how nobody got into real trouble over that.

Food isn't the only inflation problem.  Housing inflation has been astronomical whether you're looking at trying to buy a house or a condo or find an affordable rental.  If you haven't already bought something and established your initial purchase price, you're pretty much screwed.  Between housing and food inflation here, people's paycheques have been decimated since the rate of pay increases has been far less than the rate of inflation and the standard of living has nosedived.  For many people, it isn't really living, it's existing and more and more people here are barely making it from one pay to the next.  Homeless tent encampments are everywhere.  I mean everywhere.  I've never seen anything like it before, not during the early 1990s recession or the 2008 world financial crisis.

For me, personally, I got into barbecue about 11 years ago after I bought my house and moved out of my apartment where it wasn't possible to have a barbecue at all, and had a yard to do it in.  The upshot is I purchased while houses were still affordable in a few places that were commutable to work so I've set my housing costs, thankfully.

As far as food goes, wow.  I used to shop at the local independent places buy whatever was on sale more often than not because I hate paying full retail for anything if I can avoid it, but now it's all on sale or short dated "enjoy tonight" or to at the independent shops or to strategically collect and redeem points at the grocery chain that's the subject of that boycott I mentioned.  Pork and shrimp show up frequently in my cooking now based on specials.  Beef?  That's an incredibly rare treat now.  I never ever thought buying ground beef to make homemade hamburgers would be something I'd classify as a rare treat but there it is.
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Re: Last bag [emoji25]
« Last post by Lightning on May 26, 2024, 05:28:07 PM »
That's a shame.  I'm on my last bag of the original stuff too.

One of the Canadian Tire stores not too far from me listed something like 85 bags of Weber charcoal available so I stopped by on my way home from work a few nights ago wondering if it was slow moving old stock with the idea of stocking up if that was the case, but no such luck.

I wonder what prompted Weber to change from having Royal Oak OEM their own specification briquettes to rebadging an existing Royal Oak product?

The ribs look really good.  If they tasted as good as they look, that had to be a great meal.
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Re: Controlling Temperature for Cast Iron Cooking
« Last post by AlphaPapa on May 26, 2024, 03:29:08 PM »
I did another CI cook today (blackened burgers) and used many of the suggestions here including pre heating the skillet in the oven. The results were fantastic. I had much better control over the skillet temp. The burgers came out great! Many thanks!
Hard to beat vortex wings

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) / Re: Spruce Green
« Last post by dazzo on May 26, 2024, 01:32:22 PM »
Yeah it just popped up on my Target ad the other day too. Must be new I was assuming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10