Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) / Re: Realization
« Last post by bamakettles on Today at 05:13:00 AM »

“Now that’s a Fiiirre!” Making me remember Eddie Murphy’s skit from back in the day, @bamakettles!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
OMG I haven’t thought about that in decades… I actually have the Eddie Murphy vinyl album…. Columbia House record club.  I still remember taping that Penney to the membership card with my selection of 10 LPs.

And how f-ing hard it was to get out of the club after you got sucked into it ! ! !

BD
True..... I remember saving my allowance and giving it back to my mom so she could write the check for the records I had to purchase.  I still have all that vinyl and some vintage turntables and equipment to play them on when we have "Music Night". 
All great advice.  I ended up getting a camp chef explorer 2 burner stove and a steel griddle.  It has been great for searing, deep frying, and griddle stuff.  Each burner is 33,000 btu so plenty of range.
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Controlling Temperature for Cast Iron Cooking
« Last post by bamakettles on May 07, 2024, 07:26:37 PM »
For me, less charcoal and only have a layer of charcoal on one side of the grill, leaving a cool zone for moving the CI to when it gets too hot.  I use this method and often rotate the skillet during the cook.  I relate it to me being the manual thermostat for the pan, moving the skillet back and forth from hot zone to cool zone as needed.  A hot glove is a must.

Use less coal.  Put the lid back on when you have food in the pan.  The more you leave the lid off, the fire will just rage.  leave a cool zone to slide the pan away from the fire if it gets too hot.  Have everything you need ready to go because things can cook fast. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Re: Controlling Temperature for Cast Iron Cooking
« Last post by Gringo on May 07, 2024, 04:45:24 PM »
I would start with the amount of charcoal you used in your prior cooks and take out about 10-15 briquettes. I would then get all charcoal fully ashed over with the bottom and top vents open for full air flow and see where your gill temps are at. Should give you an idea of adding/removing amounts of charcoal. I would use that as an estimate of amount of charcoal needed to maintain your 350-400 temps without a lid on. I would try to arrange charcoal in the center of the grate with a vortex or charcoal basket config.

Weber does give estimates of amount of briquettes to use for certain cooks and temps so I’d refer to them as a guide as well.

Practical response not scientific for sure. Good luck!

Off Topic / Re: No Explanation Necessary... Round 2
« Last post by harris92 on May 07, 2024, 04:38:14 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Controlling Temperature for Cast Iron Cooking
« Last post by AlphaPapa on May 07, 2024, 04:16:10 PM »
All,
I have been enjoying my new Weber kettle grill. My last two cooks involved using a cast iron frying pan. Two cooks ago was blackened burgers and my last cook was Chilean sea bass nicoise. Both cooks in the past really stunk up the house. One of the main reasons for buying the Weber was so I could do these outside. The cooks went really well and the house isn’t smelling of grease and fish!

However, one problem I am having is keeping the pan temperature down. I’d probably like somewhere around 400 - 425. I was getting over 500 (using infrared thermometer). Dome temperature was around 350 - 400. Since I have to open the lid often it is hard to control the temperature with the air vents.

Any suggestions on how to best get and keep my desired temperature?

Thanks!
I would keep the boxes, even if they’re old and falling apart. They’ve made it this far, let the new owner decide if they’re worth keeping.
Thanks - that's what I was thinking.

Is there anyone else in the family to whom you could give the whole setup?
No, no one else wants it. They all have their own grills and were asked. Not that I'm the only one in the family that appreciates vintage stuff... but I'm probably the one most obsessed about it.
I would keep the boxes, even if they’re old and falling apart. They’ve made it this far, let the new owner decide if they’re worth keeping.

Is there anyone else in the family to whom you could give the whole setup?
Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) / Re: How to score a vintage kettle?
« Last post by OkieGirl on May 07, 2024, 11:58:57 AM »
LOL I've used all of those. My favorite is a garage sale find, 'cause they're usually cheap. But sometimes there will be a WKC, FBMP or EBay ad that just makes you forget all about your preset limits. 😊
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10