Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / 5 de mayo - Carnita Cook Off
« Last post by Gringo on Today at 07:15:51 AM »
@RRRanger99 , thank you, it’s actually all pork.  Looks deceiving in this case. I did use some paprika but bot heavy since I was going for the Latin flavors of the traditional carnitas  (Oregano, cumin, garlic, salt/pepper). I did spritz with coke but the normal dark of the deep lard fat fry carnitas method wasn’t used so color is a little light.

Overall real fun cook. Finishing up now and rest and then transport to the party [emoji322] [emoji323]. Thanks again. [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
And done!  This was one red hot LE…

That pizza looks Dee-LISH!
Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / Re: 5 de mayo - Carnita Cook Off
« Last post by RRRanger99 on Today at 06:35:25 AM »
Wow @Gringo , Is that a chicken and pork combo for the carnitas? Looks delicious!
« Last post by Gringo on Today at 05:20:51 AM »
Coming along…just wrapped in a BOO (Bed of onions) which is actually white onion, garlic, bay leaves, limes, oranges and veggie stock.

Off Topic / Re: Thanks To Someone
« Last post by Babekyu on Today at 04:17:41 AM »
Very cool!  Definitely take everything on your next beach vacation, particularly the window sticker.
« Last post by Gringo on Today at 02:19:04 AM »
It’s a rainy 🌧️ morning but gotta do this….it’s that time when you commit to something prior to and the day of you’re just not feeling it!

Actually, once I got the carnitas on the Glen Blue “that feeling” started kickin’ in.

« Last post by bamakettles on May 04, 2024, 08:49:31 PM »

Send some this way any day, Greg! 

Right?!?

« Last post by Gringo on May 04, 2024, 08:11:53 PM »
Send some this way any day, Greg! 

Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / First Brisket Cook on WSM
« Last post by Gringo on May 04, 2024, 08:10:11 PM »
@jdoan, grate write up! I would say 3-4 chunks is plenty for smoke.

Your brisket looks good! For your first brisket on WSM I’d say you hit it very good!

Your wrapping will help with a darker color. Try butcher paper if possible. See if there is a difference. Also, encourage you to trying pushing your resting times to 5+ hours…I’ve seen big improvements on final product with 7-9 hour rests.

Thanks for sharing the details!

Charcoal Grilling & BBQ / First Brisket Cook on WSM
« Last post by jdoan on May 04, 2024, 07:27:27 PM »
I’m still waiting for my Montreal Smoked meat to cure, so this weekend, I decided to smoke a my first brisket on the WSM 18”. This cook was done overnight using the FireBoard drive and Pit Viper fan and finished in the morning.

Weight: 7.2 lbs trimmed USDA choice
Fuel: B&B charcoal, minion method
Wood: post oak & pecan; 4-5 chunks buried
Rub:  ½  kosher salt, ½ pepper, yellow mustard binder
Meat was brought to room temp after trimming and application of rub
11:00 pm - Coals fired after completing prep and taken to 250F
11:30 pm - Brisket loaded onto smoker
2:30 am - 1st look and spritzed with cider vinegar before turning in for the night.
7:30 am - unfortunately, temps dipped to 205F due to insufficient loading of fuel, so I had to get up earlier than planned to refuel. Internal temps at this point were about 165-170F for both point and flat. 
8:00 am - temps revived and set to 265F for the rest of the cook. This would have been an opportunity to wrap, but I wasn’t happy with the bark at that point, so I made the call to finish the cook unwrapped. Went back to bed until 11:30 am
11:30 am - pulled at internal temp of 201F. Wrapped in foil and rested in warm oven for 2-3 hours.
12-2pm - cleaned up all my toys, rendered beef fat/tallow from trimmings

Result:
The point was great, but the flat was drier than I would have liked. This could have been due to the unexpected temp fluctuations extending the cook time or maybe due to skipping the wrap to finish the cook. Next time, I’ll make sure to fully load the fuel basket and try wrapping.
There was a bald rub patch on the front flat that could have been avoided with a little more care to trimming.
Wood flavor was strong. This could have been due to either too much wood and/or completing the entire cook unwrapped - I may bump back down to 3-4 chunks next time or just wrap next time.
1:1 ratio of salt pepper was good but I may dust even lighter on the seasoning next time as it was a little peppery for me - and I love pepper haha

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10