Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch ovens?  (Read 12463 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Dutch ovens?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
I'm looking to get a dutch oven this summer and I don't really know where to start. I have a 6 or 8qt kitchen one at home, red enameled from bass pro that works really well but I wouldn't want to travel with it. I also feel like it's a little small for cooking for more than 4 people. I'm looking at the camp style- what should I look for? What size is good for what? Do those tall legs actually help for a fire underneath? It's a loaded question I know! Thanks!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dutch ovens?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:21:29 AM »
Gummi,

I have diameters ranging from 8" to 16".  The ovens I most use are 12" and 12" deep ovens.  If I were starting over, I would get a 12" deep (8 quart).  It can feed quite a few people, but is not overwhelmingly big.  You can then build your arsenal from there, depending on how many people you typically feed, and the number of sides you typically make.

The three legs are necessary when you are using charcoal, which will likely be your main fuel.  Assuming no wind the following formula works pretty well.  For 350 degree cooking temp, add 3 to the diameter of the oven and put that many coals on the lid.  Subtract 3 from the diameter of the oven and put than many coals on the bottom.  So for a 12" oven, 15 coals on the top and 9 coals on the bottom should get you approx 350 in the D.O.

You will need a lid/bale lifter and a lid stand.  As a plus, using the lid stand, you can lay down a bed of coals and invert your lid on top of the lid stand to make a great frying pan.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:30:15 AM »
Excellent post Winz! I have a 1qt and an 8qt regular, but I think the 8qt deep is the better way to go. The 1qt was a gift and I have yet to use it since it would only hold 1 potato and that's about it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »

I have a couple medium size that will fit under a Weber grate:

And a bigger one that has the legs, I just set that one one firebricks so the legs don't get tangled in the charcoal grate:

Winz's info is grate & the Boy Scouts publishes a listing of # of coals, placement, timings, etc that's really good...........

http://www.bsatroop780.org/skills/DutchOvenCareAndUse.html
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »
I just skimmed the topic as I am short on time and attentiveness, so sorry if it was said already, but make sure the lid is the type that has the rim around it so you can put coals around the top without them falling off. I did see the three legs mentioned. That is very important as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
Gummi,

I have diameters ranging from 8" to 16".  The ovens I most use are 12" and 12" deep ovens.  If I were starting over, I would get a 12" deep (8 quart).  It can feed quite a few people, but is not overwhelmingly big.  You can then build your arsenal from there, depending on how many people you typically feed, and the number of sides you typically make.

The three legs are necessary when you are using charcoal, which will likely be your main fuel.  Assuming no wind the following formula works pretty well.  For 350 degree cooking temp, add 3 to the diameter of the oven and put that many coals on the lid.  Subtract 3 from the diameter of the oven and put than many coals on the bottom.  So for a 12" oven, 15 coals on the top and 9 coals on the bottom should get you approx 350 in the D.O.

You will need a lid/bale lifter and a lid stand.  As a plus, using the lid stand, you can lay down a bed of coals and invert your lid on top of the lid stand to make a great frying pan.

Winz

Thanks, Winz! How long can you hold 350F with that coal before you need to add more?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
OH! That reminds me. I bought an old CIDO at a junk shop for $9.00 a few years ago. Forgot all about it. Was thinking I would see what it takes to restore an old pot like this. Needless to say I'll need your advice, but it's very cool. Has some interesting features like the ears where the wire bail attaches, and a couple metal tags like it was cataloged for some reason. Has the #12 on the lid and the bowl. Any CI experts among us?  Can it be saved?

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
I'm not a CI expert, but I've restored a couple of Dutch ovens. You can do it - there's a lot of metal there. For light surface rust I use steel wool. I'm not sure about deeper rust. There's a series of steps you'll need to take to re-season it, which you'll find easily enough with Google. I always look it up myself when I'm about to do one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »
OH! That reminds me. I bought an old CIDO at a junk shop for $9.00 a few years ago. Forgot all about it. Was thinking I would see what it takes to restore an old pot like this. Needless to say I'll need your advice, but it's very cool. Has some interesting features like the ears where the wire bail attaches, and a couple metal tags like it was cataloged for some reason. Has the #12 on the lid and the bowl. Any CI experts among us?  Can it be saved?

Looks good, Marty. I'm sure you can have that matching your kettles in no time. Document the process for us!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »
Great question gummi, I was thinking of a similar thread as I'm looking to acquire some CI but was looking at a skillet as my first piece.   

There is some interesting info on cleaning and restoring CI at this site::
http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

and here :

http://curtcorwin.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-clean-cast-iron-cookware-with.html
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »

Lawerence......the coals per top & bottom is usually stated for an hour's time, then add if needed.........kinda like a kettle...... 8)

"and a couple metal tags like it was cataloged for some reason."

Marty, the tags are owner's ID's to keep them straight at large cookouts & competitions.....

" Can it be saved?"

Absolutely !!!!  That's just about like "Mike" the bigger one shown above ^^^^^

There's all different ways to clear them of rust & people will defend their methods rigorously.....

NON-soap Brillo (steel) pad & some scrubbing......

Vinegar, Brillo & some scrubbing...........this one smacks of Duke's vinny & baking soda fixup for rusty grates.......a vinegar dip bath, immersed for half an hour, then scraped & cleared & dried... with seasoning immediately following........

Cupped wire brush & power drill, scrubbing involved, but take care not to worry too much about getting things perfectly smooth, a little roughness for the ensuing seasoning to stick to is a good thing.........

Baked on crap, people use lye, which is a dangerous pain in the ass, unless you're familiar with & enjoy using noxious compounds like me...............

here's the Lodge page for care & cleaning that covers most stuff..........

http://www.lodgemfg.com/useandcare/seasoned-cast-iron

It will end up looking just like those shiney Black kettles....Gummi's got your # !!!!

Mirk,  a C.I. chicken fryer might be a good one, it's a skillet, but deep & with a lid so kinda expands the range of things you can do...........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Marty - as buckie pointed out, the tags are to id ovens for competition, and to make sure lids and ovens stay together.  Lots of good advice in his post.   I rarely see tagged ones and I would bet at one time yours was a cherished oven that was handed down, and subsequently neglected.  I sure hope you take on the restoration - it would be a fine cooker!

Winz

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:20:33 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »
No problem with restoring that Marty. Go at it with a wire brush attachment on a power drill. These style work the best

Just give it hell. You can't hurt that cast iron.  After that, I follow something like this using flax seed oil
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
I did 6 shots of seasoning / heat cycles on all of my cast iron a few months ago and they turned out awesome. I can cook eggs on any of them and nothing sticks. It's a lot of time involved, but it's not difficult

On the flip side.......if you decide you're not up for it, let me know. I'd buy it from you. I had already planned to start scouring some yard sales and flea markets this spring to find one. They are awesome for making soups. Nothing compares
-Keith

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
Buckie I was looking at the Lodge LCC3 combo cooker I'm not so concerned about the dutch oven aspect as basically
getting two frying pans for a cheap price.

What are the other things on the grill in the first pic you posted?
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »
Buckie I was looking at the Lodge LCC3 combo cooker I'm not so concerned about the dutch oven aspect as basically
getting two frying pans for a cheap price.

What are the other things on the grill in the first pic you posted?

Mirk, I can check the CB outlet for you in Berkeley. They usually have some lodge stuff there.

Here's some DO pr0n from Nathan Myhrvold's Modeniat Cuisine: