Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gas Performer  (Read 6409 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Gas Performer
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
You guys in the States can get what you want, when you want. You just get up in the morning, check Craigslist,  fire of an email and that afternoon you pick up any of a myriad of Weber products that we only dream of down under.  And for prices that truly upset us!

In the recent past I have picked up a couple of good finds, but my penultimate score would have to be my SS Performer. And I'm still searching for its twin.

But today I have come close. I have picked up a DR code gas assist Performer.  And at $70, I scored a bargain. Well in down under terms it's a bargain.

With this acquisition,  I might look at retaining the 2 Performers and selling off my doubled banger wooden table.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Gas Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Nice pick up Joe!

Looks in good condition.

Very good price too.

Ken
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:41:13 PM by kendoll »
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Jocool, 70 bucks is a good deal anywhere for a Performer from 06. It looks pretty damn clean to me.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes I was very happy with the price. But to get it that low I had to buy a couple of other shitty kettles. So in real terms, it probably owes me $90. It will need a decent cooking grate, and a couple of other dodads,  but it should be good to go real soon.

One thing I have noticed, is that it seems to take a propane bottle that had a thread that I haven't seen previously. So I may need a converter as well.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't bothered with one for mine.

Ken

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
Hey Jo, you know they take the little disposable bottles right?
There's two types of those bottles, one is refillable the other isn't
The Aussie performers have a different regulator and take the bottles that aren't refillable
So if you want to be able to refill the little bottles you will need to buy the US reg and hose
I think it cost me $40 del plus another $15 for the adapter to refill them from a 9kg bottle
Your probably thinking that's going to cost me nearly as much as the kettle but remember the disposable bottles are $10 each , so it doesn't take long to pay itself off by refilling them
I've read some posts about some members struggling to refill them but I for one have had no problems refilling them and have found it only takes a couple of minutes to fill each one
If your interested I can post some links to the replacement hose and adapter.
I noticed Brian wrote about using a Q hose and reg the other day so you can connect to a 9kg gas bottle , you might even be able to use one of a GGA I've never tried either so can't comment on there effectiveness, I also don't like playing around with gas and different hoses and connections so the refillable disposable bottles was the way I went I also like the stock look
By the way great score!!!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
I'm thinking that if I can fit one of those adapters I got for your GA. I'll do some more research.

I pulled the whole kettle down to see what parts I would need. It also gave me a chance to clean it up.

After cleaning it all up and ascertaining what parts I needed, I started putting it back together. One thing I didn't like was the rusty clips holding the charcoal bucket in place. I replaced both the clip and the ring with SS versions.

When I was running the bolts back in that hold the bowl and table to the frame, I ran a bead of grease on the threads to stop them siezing later in life.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:37:16 PM by Jocool »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »

Great attention to detail, man......glad you were able to find something reasonably priced !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »
looks awesome!
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »
I would say don't let what you see happening in California make you think it is easy or cheap to find a Performer here in the states.

While mine was cheap, it was many months of looking before I stumbled onto it.

If I saw one like yours locally for $70, I would be all over it.

Great buy.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
Jocool,  Performers are my favorite models - nice score and great job cleaning it up.  I really like the fact that you replaced some of the hardware with SS, and your idea on the thread grease.

I want a Jackaroo bag and a box of Redheads!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
Nice score !
As stated above, a great price anywhere !

DD
who's still searching for a nice SSP for a decent price.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:26:28 PM by DirectDrive »

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
Jocool,  Performers are my favorite models - nice score and great job cleaning it up.  I really like the fact that you replaced some of the hardware with SS, and your idea on the thread grease.

Winz
The Jackeroos are gloves. :)

Im sure we could sort you out with some, got any sweet old kettles you'd be willing to trade?  ;)

Ken

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »

Winz
Send me some postage, and I'll send you both! Did you want the matches in the extra long?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
Right on!  Pm me an address and I will send the cash.   Extra long redheads - of course!

Winz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.