Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying to force spring upon us.....  (Read 2543 times)

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Trying to force spring upon us.....
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
I'm tired of this damn cold, so I'm doing what I can to force Spring to show up.  For dinner tonight I grilled some bacon wrapped filet mignon topped with onions and some shrimp that I chopped up and mixed into some quinoa. Steamed broccoli was added as a source of ruffage.

While that was finishing up, I tossed on a bacon wrapped pork roll that will be sliced and reheated for breakfast tomorrow morning. It consisted of mild cheddar cheese, onions, and chopped tator tots.  I wanted to use shredded hash browns, but we were out, so tater tots it is.
Before

After

To add to the fun, I have been craving ribs for a few weeks, so I prepped two racks of St Louis style ribs for dinner tomorrow.

I was feeling ambitious, so I also made up another pork roll that will be cooked along with the ribs.  This one is mozzarella, cheddar, onion, jalapeņo, and pepperoni. It's a weird mix, but that's what happens when I'm hungry and trying to clean out the fridge.

I'll add to the post once I get some more pics tomorrow. BRING ON SPRING!
-Keith

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
Re: Trying to force spring upon us.....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:09:01 PM »
I don't know if that's gonna force spring upon us, but it did make me drool on my keyboard! Nice work   ;D

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
Woke up this morning and immediately jumped into breakfast mode. I whipped up some French toast and sliced the fatty I made last night. Then I dropped a pat of butter into one of my cast iron skillets and fried up the fatty slices. I topped mine with a little pure maple syrup, while my wife hit hers with some ketchup. It was a good start to the day

Then it was downstairs to get the 26er fired up for some ribs. This was my first attempt at a snake in a kettle, and it worked great.  It held between 220-240 for 5 hours straight and I still had a ways to go before I would have run out of charcoal

I also tossed on the second fatty that I rolled last night. It finished up about hour number 3 and made a nice before dinner snack to get us in the BBQ mood. It turned out great

Pulling the first rack of ribs off

Nice smoke ring

2nd rack was finished about 20 mins later

They turned out to be the best ribs I have made yet (only the 4th time), and I really like how the snake method worked out in the 26er. I still have my 22.5" WSM for heavy lifting and long cooks, but I think this will be my go to tool for cooks like this.   As far as bringing on Spring.......it looks like I failed.  I no more than had the cover back on the grill and it started to snow, sigh.  I'm so ready for some warm weather
-Keith

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
Everything looks awesome!  Great cook all-around!  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

WOW !!!!

Now.............let me say that backwards: WOW !!!!

Nice lookin' cookups....all of them !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:45 AM »
Nice work. In fact, the weather is warming up here. For the first time in almost a week we did not go below zero last night and we're expecting to go above freezing within a week. :D

You should try grilling the broccoli too. That's good!
kettles, smokers...

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:10:36 AM »
I have done broccoli many times, we just didn't have any fresh stuff in the fridge that day. I would normally cover the fresh broccoli with EVOO and garlic, then grill it indirect. Once it's pulled off, I like to top it with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  Mmmmmm, that's making me hungry

It looks like we will be waiting a little longer for winter to go away. We are right in the middle of the storm path currently creeping up the east coast. Currently calling for 10-14" by midnight :-\
-Keith

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »
I have done broccoli many times, we just didn't have any fresh stuff in the fridge that day. I would normally cover the fresh broccoli with EVOO and garlic, then grill it indirect. Once it's pulled off, I like to top it with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  Mmmmmm, that's making me hungry

It looks like we will be waiting a little longer for winter to go away. We are right in the middle of the storm path currently creeping up the east coast. Currently calling for 10-14" by midnight :-\

If you grill today, I'll grill today! lol
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
We were literally just discussing what to make for dinner, and in suggested grilled New York strip.

I cheat, my grills are on the patio under my deck. They only have a light dusting of snow on them. I could be up and running in no time

Edit.....it's been decided.....New York strips, asparagus, and baked potatoes.  So......whatcha cookin?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:45:31 AM by OoPEZoO »
-Keith

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
I'll be right there. Oh wait...I can't get out of my driveway.  >:(

My mind is shifting into Mid Atlantic Meetup gear. The snow should be gone by then.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
We were literally just discussing what to make for dinner, and in suggested grilled New York strip.

I cheat, my grills are on the patio under my deck. They only have a light dusting of snow on them. I could be up and running in no time

Edit.....it's been decided.....New York strips, asparagus, and baked potatoes.  So......whatcha cookin?

Dang, you called my bluff! If my wife didn't already have chili in the crockpot, I'd be grilling chicken.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
No plated pics, but I snapped one as the meat and asparagus was going on. I could have cooked the tators a little longer, but the rest turned out great

I really love how well these kettles cook.  It pains me to even think that I spent so many years cooking on gas
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

"I really love how well these kettles cook.  It pains me to even think that I spent so many years cooking on gas"

Cheer up.....you're here now !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"