Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey on a 14.5 WSM  (Read 18530 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Turkey on a 14.5 WSM
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Pulled the little guy out to see what he could do - 9.8 lb turkey tested for size on top grate. Size looks good (grate actually sits a little lower than the lip that the lid sits in ) so I figured let's go .

Turkey brined in Jack Daniel/ honey brine as described in Wiviot's Low and Slow. Used recipe for four chicken halves. Soaked in brine for 12 hours and then dried in fridge overnight.

Bird trussed up

WSM loaded up with lump using can/minion method. Full mini-chimney lit was dumped to get it going. I always use this for minion cooks now.

Water pan lined with a layer of ceramic briquettes.

Layer of foil applied and we are ready to go.

Tools for the day - maverick 732, a chunk of maple, and a chunk of pecan

Bird is on cooker.

Temp started around 250 or so at the grate with all lower vents wide open (top wide open throughout cook). After 1 hour, temp of 315-325 obtained. Near end of cook, slight adjustment of lower vents to 2/3 open to maintain approximately 325.

Nice day for WSM cooking!

Turkey took around 3 hours

It was really tasty.

I was impressed since this was a free turkey that my wife picked up at thanksgiving from BJ's. We usually get a much more expensive free range bird from the local butcher. Although you can discern a small difference in taste, this little guy was real good and a big hit at dinner tonight ( shared with friends across town). Shows what a little brine and some time in a little cooker can do. Don't be fooled - a. 14.5 WSM is a serious cooker, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to try low and slow. Temp control is a breeze.

Mike

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
Re: Turkey on a 14.5 WSM
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:12:09 AM »
I have only one question. How come you don't have any snow? I realize that I am in the steps of freezer oblivion up here, but NJ isn't that far away, and you usually get some sort of winter down there.

BTW, nice cooker and bird. I will have to try that on my OTG, if I can dig the %^$#!!! thing out of the ice.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Turkey on a 14.5 WSM
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:48:13 AM »
I have only one question. How come you don't have any snow? I realize that I am in the steps of freezer oblivion up here, but NJ isn't that far away, and you usually get some sort of winter down there.

BTW, nice cooker and bird. I will have to try that on my OTG, if I can dig the %^$#!!! thing out of the ice.

We did have some snow a couple of weeks ago. Usually, our biggest potential is in Jan-Feb. I do remember digging out of a 2ft storm the day after Christmas 4-5 years ago. I had to use the snow blower to make a path to my grilling station.
Right now we are having some good weather.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:19:38 AM »
That looks awesome! I did an 8lb bird on my 22 kettle the other day. I considered using my modded mini WSM for it but I was afraid it wouldn't fit.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
Excellent looking turkey! I like everything about that cook from the brine to the finished picture with the red smoked hue. What did you use for brine?

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:35:51 AM »

That looks awesome! I did an 8lb bird on my 22 kettle the other day. I considered using my modded mini WSM for it but I was afraid it wouldn't fit.

I was afraid it wouldn't fit either, but I tested it with the grate and lid . One thing that helps is that the top grate sits a little lower than the lip where the lid sits. I think you could do up to a 10 lb bird and be fine on the 14.5.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Turkey on a 14.5 WSM
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:34 AM »
Excellent looking turkey! I like everything about that cook from the brine to the finished picture with the red smoked hue. What did you use for brine?

Thanks for the compliments. It did come out very good. I have cooked numerous turkeys on the 22, but this is the first on the little guy.
The recipe is from Gary Wiviott's Low and Slow - this is a really good book as it has recipes/setups both for WSM and kettle smoking.

Bourbon and honey brine
(Used recipe for WSM/offset - four chicken halves)

1/2 cup Jack Daniels
2/3 cups Morton kosher salt
1/2 cup honey
1tablespoon grated orange rind (recipe calls for lemon but this is the citrus I had available)
1-2 teaspoon ground pepper

Ingredients dissolved in 2 cups or so of water. Turkey was placed into 2.5 gallon ziplock with brine. Enough water was added to completely submerge the bird. Place back into fridge for an overnight soak of around 12 hours.

Turkey was removed and rinsed with water then patted dry with paper towels. Turkey was placed on a rack in a pan back in the fridge to dry it some more. This is key to getting a nice crispy skin after the brine.

I did spray a little olive oil on the turkey before placing on the cooker.

Mike

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
Thanks, I am planning on brining my next turkey and really hope it looks like yours when it's done.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
How come you don't have any snow?
I will also note that there is no evidence of weeds coming up between the bricks in the patio. Of course the weeds are no issue for me right now as they are buried under ice and snow. ;)

Nice looking cook, BTW. Can you talk about what that tube in the middle of your lump does and how it fits in with the Minion method?
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

How come you don't have any snow?
I will also note that there is no evidence of weeds coming up between the bricks in the patio. Of course the weeds are no issue for me right now as they are buried under ice and snow. ;)

Nice looking cook, BTW. Can you talk about what that tube in the middle of your lump does and how it fits in with the Minion method?

I got the idea from the tvwbb site.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#variations

Just a variation of dumping lit on top of unlit. I have had a lot of success doing it this way. Seems to bring cooker quickly up to temp.
Here is a bigger can I use for the 22.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »
So that just sits on top of the coals and gives you a spot to drop the lit coals on? Ah, no. It sits down in the briquettes giving you a place to add the lit coal. Then I presume you slip the tube out when the lit coals are added?

I usually set the chimney on the middle of the coal bet as soon as it gets started. By the time the coals in the chimney are fully lit, any coals and smoking wood under the chimney are going as well.
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Turkey on a 14.5 WSM
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
Sorry Hank I should have explained a bit. Yes you fill the outer ring with coal and leave the void in the middle for the lit. After dumping the lit inside the can I remove the can with some tongs. The can I use on the WSM is pretty tall. I am sure your method works well too.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »
Old Gary may know low and slow but Jack Daniels is not a bourbon! It's a whiskey...and there is a difference gentlemen. Great looking turkey by the way.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.