Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sunday night feed  (Read 1510 times)

cartandpeg

• Smokey Joe
Sunday night feed
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
Had the weber for 7 days now and have cooked on it 6 times.The lady of the house loves it as she does not have to cook.

Threw a bit of leg of lamb on with some trimmings, yaaaa at last I am getting it right with the temps,just got to make sure I get the veggies and the likes on at the right times, only thing that did not cook well this time around was the carrots.Quickly threw this onto a plate for pic as the hungry hordes where hovering.I could have done better with presentation of food. The lamb was the best I had tasted compared to cooking in the gas oven.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:06:26 AM by cartandpeg »

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Sunday night feed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
That looks great! Lamb is one of my favorites. I also like to do all of the veggies on the grill as well. I just did some zucchini tonight after the fatties came off the 14 WSM. Too bad the carrots didn't come out like you had hoped. They brown up nicely.
kettles, smokers...

cartandpeg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
Thank you Hank,

The lamb turned out nice,as with each cook, a lesson learned,the chicken I am getting better with.I am trying to get the timing right with every thing.IE: Lamb is in kettle cooking and getting the veggies in at the right time, so every thing can be served correctly ( or close) and all at once..

I managed to get 4kg bags heat beads for $4.99 a bag,which is a large saving over here in comparison to its daily shelf price.So I grabbed 7 bags,so my practice cooks are cheap at present.

The lady loves it,most nights there is something in the weber and she does not have to cook,I don't think we have eaten so well since the weber came.I will admit the meat bills has gone up a bit,but every one is licking their lips at feed time.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:54:17 AM »
I am trying to get the timing right with every thing.IE: Lamb is in kettle cooking and getting the veggies in at the right time, so every thing can be served correctly ( or close) and all at once..
That's one of my biggest challenges as well. One thing to keep in mind is that meat usually benefits from resting prior to serving. With small cuts like steaks and chops this may only be ten minutes or so but good advice on something like a brisket or butt is to rest an hour or so. You can take advantage of that time to finish up the veggies. This is also an area where I take advantage of my gasser. I frequently do the veggies ahead of the meat and I will have the gasser at about 175°F (80°C) with a couple cast iron pans sitting on the grate to hold the veggies as they come off the kettle. This is particularly helpful in winter when the cold winds blow. I can also do the first stage of a reverse sear on the gasser while I have the kettle cranked up to grill the veggies. You can do the same thing by zoning the charcoal (beads) on the kettle, but the temperature difference between zones is not that great.
kettles, smokers...