Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new implement in the war on cooking  (Read 4425 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
A new implement in the war on cooking
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
I built a new implement today...   DISCADA!!

(Sorry in advance for some of the crappy, low-light-cell-phone pics.)

First I bought an 18" 'disc' blade from our local Fleet Farm.

And some horse-shoes:

After grinding all of the paint off, and cutting a plug to fill the center hole...

I welded it in. (In my usual seagull-crap-looking welds)

The nice thing about crappy welds is that you can grind them down.

I was going to weld on some legs, but there would be NO WAY I could be talented enough to get everything to sit straight, so I went a different route.  After digging through the 'scrap-steel' bin, I found this.  Ironically, it's a piece of the frame from an old propane griddle I pulled out of a dumpster about a year ago.  It just happened to fit the disk nicely, so after getting it fairly close to level, I welded it to the back side of the disk.

Here it is sitting on a 22" kettle...

It would even work on a Jumbo Joe..

I ran out of time that night, so the next morning I welded on the horse-shoe handles.

At that point it was basically done, so I washed it off with some dish-detergent, then threw it on a bed of coals to burn off any residue and help season it with some cooking oil.

Now to find time for a first cook!   :P
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: A new implement in the war on cooking
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:26:23 PM »
that is bad ass!... I want to learn to weld so bad.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
sweet!  Is that thing perfectly concave? I need one. and so does BEEF...will make a fine ash catcher for a cart  ;)
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
We did an inaugural cook on the Discada today.  Shredded beef, onions, multi-colored peppers, black beans, cilantro, and half a can of beer all served on some flour tortillas.  (Sorry for the bad pics, but it's tough when the sun sets before 5:30pm.)

Here's a short video you can click on:

It's funny, the family was rolling their eyes when I first show this to them last week after making it.  As we were eating dinner tonight, they were dreaming up new meals that could be cooked on it.  Each one better than the last.  I guess they're convinced.  LOL!

MINIgrillin-
Yep, perfectly concave.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:36:16 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Now that is awesome great work sax!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 03:38:29 PM »
great work on that discada!  I have been wanting a large wok or something like this discada to use on my kettle.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:49 AM »
that is bad ass!... I want to learn to weld so bad.
Me too! That's why I got a little 110V welder. At about the same time I needed to get a stainless muffler and sidestand bracket welded for my bike so I talked to the weldor about that. (First of all, he only charged me $20 for the welding!) He had me bring my stuff in and I spent the morning welding on some stuff while he watched and coached. Very cool! I set him up with some ribs, pulled pork and brisket by way of thanks.

Back to the subject at hand... I've seen those disks converted to cookers and thought it would be cool to make one (rather than buy.) That's a little lower on my list of projects now that I have a Weber wok, but if I could get a disk cheap... I wonder if farmers ever replace them when they wear out and of one of those might be useable. I've thought of stopping by a farm to ask.

Nice project! You should get some nice meals out of that.
kettles, smokers...

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
A new implement in the war on cooking
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen pics online where someone carried a old one in and had it sandblasted before making a discada out of it. I'm also pretty sure my Grandpa had some in his scrap pile out behind the shed, I need to serif they're still there and make one myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD