Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out  (Read 12384 times)

Brickout

• WKC Brave
Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
Debunking beer can chicken.

Good article.... I have always felt I could taste a hint of difference between a light (no flavor) and dark (Slight flavor, almost not there) beer. But, I would never bet the farm on it. My experience matches what the article highlights.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »
Debunking beer can chicken.

Good article.... I have always felt I could taste a hint of difference between a light (no flavor) and dark (Slight flavor, almost not there) beer. But, I would never bet the farm on it. My experience matches what the article highlights.

man, i SWEAR that I could too until i actually did a blind taste test.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
spatch-cock those chickens

beer can chicken is a waste of beer and doesn't affect the taste :)

I don't know about that.  Since we've been doing beer can chicken, it's been tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone delicious.  And what is "spatch-cock"?

Do a test. Make two, leave one can empty, do one can as you normally would.
Have your family taste each without knowing which is which. Do the same for yourself.

I learned this years ago when I accidentally tipped over one of my beer throned birds and spilled ALL the beer as i was putting them on.
I was amazed and intrigued (and honestly, a little disappointed) when I realized that the chickens tasted the SAME.

I have had nothing but excellent results cooking the chicken that way.  Even if you don't want to put beer in the can I would still cook them in that way. It just works great.  I look at it like if you're getting great results why change.  I use the roti ring when I cook chickens that way.  I would suggest putting a post here looking for a roti ring.  And start scouring craigslist to see if you can find one....You never know what might happen...problem solved

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Cmon now, you know this is my pet peeve.
Change is how we grow. Never settle.
Always challenge the old ways.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Spatchcock = butterfly - sort of. You cut out the backbone and open the bird up so it lays flatter on the grate and cooks more evenly. I'm sure there are better descriptions out there, but as far as I know it's as simple as that.

+1. I haven't done a side by side to see if they differ in flavor by removing the keel and backbone, but I have had good results doing both. Removing the backbone makes the chicken easier to eat since there is more ratio of meat to bone. In a kettle you can fit two chicken comfortably on a roti, maybe 3 if they aren't too big. Spatchcocking three chicken will take up the entire 22.5" grate.

It's interesting that three beercan chicken fit's comfortably standing up in the basement. I would probably set it up like this for cooking three chicken in a kettle. Nice post, Mac. Maybe even 4 if you put the charcoal on one side?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I also asked Weber if I could place the chicken on the charcoal grate between the charcoal baskets.

Yes, you can ... with great results!

And, I agree with Troy. I don't find the beer imparts any flavour to the chicken.
I drink all the beer, and use hot water in the can. YMMV.  :D

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
It's interesting that three beercan chicken fit's comfortably standing up in the basement. I would probably set it up like this for cooking three chicken in a kettle. Nice post, Mac. Maybe even 4 if you put the charcoal on one side?

This was my first time trying it.  I suppose 4 would fit no problem with a charcoal basket on one side.
These birds were small ... about 3 lbs each.  And, this was on a 22".  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
I use the Weber stand for doing beer can chicken.  Add some beer, apple juice or water in the top and then put the chicken on and cook.  Fits under the lid with no problems.  I use the charcoal baskets on each side and then add some wood chips to get some smoke into the bird.  Very tasty and juicy overall. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
Thank you, everyone.  I see some interesting ideas here...such an eclectic group.

I did roti chicken, as well as Cornish hens, on my Genesis 1000, and they came out primo.  I'm not investing in a rotisserie set-up for the kettle.  As for splitting the chicken...too much work.  I'll use quarters instead.

Still, all of you answered my question, and for that I am grateful.  Never too much knowledge in the realm of low 'n slow, or high 'n fast.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
spatch-cock those chickens

beer can chicken is a waste of beer and doesn't affect the taste :)

I don't know about that.  Since we've been doing beer can chicken, it's been tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone delicious.  And what is "spatch-cock"?

Do a test. Make two, leave one can empty, do one can as you normally would.
Have your family taste each without knowing which is which. Do the same for yourself.

I learned this years ago when I accidentally tipped over one of my beer throned birds and spilled ALL the beer as i was putting them on.
I was amazed and intrigued (and honestly, a little disappointed) when I realized that the chickens tasted the SAME.

I have had nothing but excellent results cooking the chicken that way.  Even if you don't want to put beer in the can I would still cook them in that way. It just works great.  I look at it like if you're getting great results why change.  I use the roti ring when I cook chickens that way.  I would suggest putting a post here looking for a roti ring.  And start scouring craigslist to see if you can find one....You never know what might happen...problem solved

Cmon now, you know this is my pet peeve.
Change is how we grow. Never settle.
Always challenge the old ways.
by

I didn't tell him to make it every night.  I'm saying if roasting a chicken upright works do it....by your logic would you not ever make the same recipe twice?  Well you change it just for the sake of change?  And challenge?  Not sure I follow this logic....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »
I'm gonna do a bean can chicken set right on the coal grate and then eat the beans with the chicken. But only after I put my bbq shoes on. Pit boys had a recipe for bean can chicken. That sounded good and no waste of a fine beer like one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »
I like the sound of that....I would say that this is just another excuse to get the roti ring....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:02 AM »
I like the sound of that....I would say that this is just another excuse to get the roti ring....

If you are selling, I am buying. Been looking for a roti ring....

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
"Always challenge the old ways."
That's what Robin Ventura thought on his way out to mound where Nolan Ryan was waiting on him..... :)
fwiw I like spatchcocked too, its just less to get out and clean up compared to beer can and rotisserie

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
I did beer can chicken on my kettle.  The top of the chicken hit the lid of the kettle, until I really pushed the chicken onto the poultry holder.  I asked Weber if there was an aftermarket item that I could use to deal with this problem.  Customer service mentioned the rotisserie add-on for the kettle, using the part that the rotisserie rests on to add additional height.  I'm not spending that kind of money on a convenience.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I also asked Weber if I could place the chicken on the charcoal grate between the charcoal baskets.  Customer service didn't answer that part of the question.

Confused... Did you use a beer can? Or a vertical roaster. Post is for beer can chicken but you said "pushed chicken onto poultry holder".  Does this debate apply to vertical roaster too? I used a vertical roaster and the chicken was touching the top. I used apple cider. I don't think I could taste it over all the other stuff I put on and under the skin. The bird came out moist and friggin awesome tho.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.