Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out  (Read 12369 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
I did beer can chicken on my kettle.  The top of the chicken hit the lid of the kettle, until I really pushed the chicken onto the poultry holder.  I asked Weber if there was an aftermarket item that I could use to deal with this problem.  Customer service mentioned the rotisserie add-on for the kettle, using the part that the rotisserie rests on to add additional height.  I'm not spending that kind of money on a convenience.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I also asked Weber if I could place the chicken on the charcoal grate between the charcoal baskets.  Customer service didn't answer that part of the question.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
Sounds like you are cooking the chicken indirect. Try putting both baskets on one side of the charcoal grate and the chicken on the other. If that fits, you can make a makeshift diffuser out of foil to cut down on radiant heat. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
I've heard of people putting their beer butt chickens right down on the coal grate between two coal baskets, with great results.  Not sure why Weber CS would avoid that question.
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
spatch-cock those chickens

beer can chicken is a waste of beer and doesn't affect the taste :)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
I've done them downstairs like that with good results. I used a foil drip pan between the charcoal baskets. I did not diffuse the heat, but nothing bad happened. You could also rest a spare charcoal grate directly on the loaded baskets for more headroom if you want the chook above the heat. Or a couple bricks between the baskets and a pan for the beer'n'bird on top of them.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
I had the same issue with that upright roaster. I just let it be and things turned out fine anyway. Next time I'll cook on the charcoal grate with single bank of coals. ..or I could just use the 26.  8)
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »

I don't know about that.  Since we've been doing beer can chicken, it's been tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone delicious.  And what is "spatch-cock"?

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Mike/Gummi -- I think that next time I'll do the chicken "downstairs" w/o any diffuser, using the poultry roaster.  We'll see how it goes.

Funny thing -- there was no problem with the beer can chicken on the Genesis 1000.  I guess that slightly higher lid makes all the difference.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
For the record, I don't bother to beer-can chickens anymore, as the beer doesn't boil and it's shoved so far into the body of the bird that it can't affect the flavor much. 

But it looks really cool, especially with a PBR. 
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »

I don't know about that.  Since we've been doing beer can chicken, it's been tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone delicious.  And what is "spatch-cock"?

Do a test. Make two, leave one can empty, do one can as you normally would.
Have your family taste each without knowing which is which. Do the same for yourself.

I learned this years ago when I accidentally tipped over one of my beer throned birds and spilled ALL the beer as i was putting them on.
I was amazed and intrigued (and honestly, a little disappointed) when I realized that the chickens tasted the SAME.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:30:14 AM »

Do a test. Make two, leave one can empty, do one can as you normally would.
Have your family taste each without knowing which is which. Do the same for yourself.

I learned this years ago when I accidentally tipped over one of my beer throned birds and spilled ALL the beer as i was putting them on.
I was amazed and intrigued (and honestly, a little disappointed) when I realized that the chickens tasted the SAME.

I have had nothing but excellent results cooking the chicken that way.  Even if you don't want to put beer in the can I would still cook them in that way.  It just works great.  I look at it like if you're getting great results why change.  I use the roti ring when I cook chickens that way.  I would suggest putting a post here looking for a roti ring.  And start scouring craigslist to see if you can find one....You never know what might happen...problem solved

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
I have had nothing but excellent results cooking the chicken that way.  Even if you don't want to put beer in the can I would still cook them in that way.  It just works great.  I look at it like if you're getting great results why change.  I use the roti ring when I cook chickens that way.  I would suggest putting a post here looking for a roti ring.  And start scouring craigslist to see if you can find one....You never know what might happen...problem solved

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just curious, do you prefer cooking them standing as opposed to on the roti?  I prefer rotisserie chicken to beer can chicken (with or without beer) so I wondered if you have the ring out why not jut put it on the rod?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »
Spatchcock = butterfly - sort of. You cut out the backbone and open the bird up so it lays flatter on the grate and cooks more evenly. I'm sure there are better descriptions out there, but as far as I know it's as simple as that.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:45 AM »
For the record, I don't bother to beer-can chickens anymore, as the beer doesn't boil and it's shoved so far into the body of the bird that it can't affect the flavor much. 

But it looks really cool, especially with a PBR. 

I believe that its all to create a steam chamber inside the cavity to keep moist during cooking.  I used apple cider the first time and water with some thyme the second.  Didnt notice a taste difference.  Im not too disappointed tho because the chicken is friggin awesome! Wife loved it too.

Has anyone tried different beers?  I could understand that a lighter beer wouldnt impart much flavor but what about a chocolate stout, a nice hoppy pilsner, or some honey mead.  Im thinking a fresh squeezed orange juice and Hefeweizen might be interesting.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions?  I also asked Weber if I could place the chicken on the charcoal grate between the charcoal baskets.

Yes, you can ... with great results!

And, I agree with Troy. I don't find the beer imparts any flavour to the chicken.
I drink all the beer, and use hot water in the can. YMMV.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.