Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first steaks  (Read 3587 times)

Lradke

• Smokey Joe
My first steaks
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
So I rushed through cooking 4 steaks for tonight's dinner. I'm not sure on the cut, they were cheap and so that wouldn't have helped the situation tonight.

Anyway I cooked them over the coals for a bit too long and successfully turned one into jerky. I was in a huge rush due to a family event that went overtime, so they didn't get the love they needed! :(

My wife did like hers (as she took the thickest one which was tender) but still said it was cooked too long (if it ain't still beating, it's overlooked).

Here's a pic of them as I flipped them. And honestly any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind this is my first run at steaks on a weber.

2 good things came out of today's dinner:
1- I have a fresh batch of homemade Javk Daniels BBQ sauce (Tennessee hollering BBQ sauce)
2- my wife commented on how good I smell after grilling something (it's the smoke) ;)

The sauce

The steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
~Luke

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: My first steaks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
Sorry to hear they did not meet highest expectations. If there's one thing I have trouble with, it't not overdoing stuff like steaks, lamb chops and salmon, all of which I prefer on the rare side (and all of which I frequently overcook.) I feel your pain!

On the other hand, this is a skill and only through persistence and attention to detail can we achieve consistent perfection. Like Bill said, "You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?"

If SWMBO liked hers, then it wasn't a total loss and you get to live to grill again. ;)
kettles, smokers...

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
I'm not an expert on cuts, but it looks thicker.  Maybe try a reverse sear next time, aka use some indirect heat until it's "mostly" done and then bring it directly over the coals to sear it.
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
I always use a timer with steaks especially if less than an inch thick. A hot grill is critical 500+ 4 minutes flip 4 minutes off for 10 min rest. I actually use my gasser more for steaks because of the high heat capabilities and consistency across the grates. I've used my 18 for steaks and have been happy but feel the coal is wasted because it's such a short cook.

Cooking a great steak is an art form and many on this site turn out amazing meats. Keep trying keep asking.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
Looks like a little bit of uneven heat. I am a little anal about the coals, when they ash I spread them in an even layer when I have a hot and fast cook.

Also, steaks, poultry, fish, and other "tender" cuts of meat are similar to chocolate cookies....when they look done in the pan, they will be overcooked by the time you cool them.

It is always easier to pull early and blast with a little more heat if under done than overcooking.

With poultry I always take temp. Dont feel like killing anyone.

I have not tried the "reverse sear" technique yet. I am not sure how fast the meat will pass the 40-140 deg mark. Again, dont feel like killing anyone.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My first steaks
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:32 PM »
Those look like eye if round steaks. They don't have a ton of fat, which means there isn't much moisture in them. So anything past medium is going to make a tough steak. I'm a mark and move to the indirect side guy.  With a thin steak you could mark one side and move to indirect since you don't have a bunch of time to work. You would be surprised how many of the dishes ordered  in a restaurant are seared on one side and finished in an oven or broiler. Serve seared or marked side up and no one knows the difference. Also thinnest steaks go on last, they cook the fastest. So thickest ones first and after the first flip add the thin steaks then. 

If you get this cut again I would try to thinly slice against the grain to help keep it tender.

The only way to truly make sure a steak is cooked right is to take its temp. Practice makes a big difference as well. Just keep trying!!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:39 AM »
I have not tried the "reverse sear" technique yet. I am not sure how fast the meat will pass the 40-140 deg mark. Again, dont feel like killing anyone.
No need to fear the reverse sear. You've got 4 hours to get through the danger zone and it should not take nearly that long to get the meat hot enough to finish. Yesterday I put some ribeyes on the counter and peppered them (forgot salt - meant to salt before I cooked  ::) ) and let sit for probably a half an hour before they went on. I happened to have a smoker going which was cruising along at about 265°F so I stacked the ribeyes (on a plate) right on top of the chuck. I usually try for a little more than 100°F but was getting impatient so when they hit 97° I put them on a hot CI grate on the kettle (which was reading about 450°.) I like steaks rare and that is how they came out. The benefit IMO is that you relatively slowly get the interior of the meat up to the temperature you want and just finish the outside on a hot grate or over a hot fire. Otherwise I am trying to balance getting a nice sear on the outside with getting the inside warm enough without overshooting and that's not easy for me. If I hadn't had the smoker going, I would have done the warming step on a gasser at about 250° or so. It's hard to warm gently on the same cooker you want to sear with because you have the conflict between gentle heat and a screaming hot grill.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:15:40 AM »

That's a heckuva rundown by Hank & Chasing_smoke ............. ;D

Jimmy, James & GC have some good angles on this too !!!

I would agree w/ Chasing_smoke......looks like eye of round........different possible approach here......

I would marinate them while other things were going on (family event) then very quick sear, then  away from the coals indirect for a short time.......

the reasoning being: a piece like that doesn't have much fat, the marinade 'replaces' or 'fixes' that somewhat......the sear 1st, in that case, does seal in what moisture has been added & the indirect helps let them finish gently.........

Cleaned out the freezer a couple years ago.......all the 'mystery meats'....pork chops, eye of rounds, country style ribs, on sale stuff that somehow got buried........ threw them all in a mixed up marinade concoction for a day & a half............. smoked  them all on one kettle, two levels full of stuff @275~300 for what seemed like not a very long time.........these were destined to be chunked up small for adding to pans of beans................several of these pieces, notably the center cut chops (pork version of this kind of steak above ) was possibly the best, most tender I've EVER done..........can't say enough for indirect grilling / smoking.............. ;D

If there's one thing I have trouble with, it't not overdoing stuff like steaks, lamb chops and salmon, all of which I prefer on the rare side (and all of which I frequently overcook.) I feel your pain!

I have these troubles too.....at the higher heats.....but tend to 'under-do' stuff like lamb chops & some kinds of steaks......

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:18:46 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
I'm looking at your coals and I don't think you have enough. I can't tell how stacked they are but you should have like 3 inches more around food on every side. I like to do a mostly full chimney and do a two zone fire 3 coals deep on one side. Temp guage reading 500. Let warm up like that for 5-10 minutes so grill grate is searing hot. 2 minutes then turn 45 degrees for a good cross pattern. 2 minutes more then flip. 2 minutes, 45degrees,2 minutes. Then I'll place on cool side of grill to cook up. Depending on thinkness of steak about 4-6 minutes. I use the "touch method". Meanin if it feels like the palm of your hand near thumb its rare. If it feels like the center of the palm of hand it's medium+.

Pregrilling prep is a whole 'nuther topic.  Seasoned, dried, and resting for one hour is general practice. I have been experimenting with kosher salt and corn starch and place in freezer for an hour and place on stupid hot sear grate. Pepper to taste before of course... The idea is to build a good crust before internal temp is done.

Also, make sure you pull steaks just a smidge early. Put them all on a metal tray and cover with foil for 5-10 minutes to rest. It really helps to redistribute moisture in meat and seals it in. I don't know why..its just what I read. I have tried both ways and it works.

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:09:00 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

esq3585

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: My first steaks
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
+1 on the foiling

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk