Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fire roasted red pepper dip.  (Read 1671 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Fire roasted red pepper dip.
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
This is another recipe I got from Raichlen's show "Primal Grill." Unfortunately I cannot find it on his web site so I've winged it a couple times. It's a certainty when red peppers go on sale for $0.99/lb. I also start with dried garbanzos. $1.99/lb at the local grocery in bulk pack. You can use canned garbanzos if you prefer. If you do dry, cook them a day in advance! (One cup of dry garbanzos made about 1 1/2 cup when cooked.)

Start by roasting the peppers directly on the coals to blacken the skin. (You could do this over the flame on a gas range, but where's the fun in that!) This loosens the skin so it can be peeled off once the peppers cool.

Don't obsess over peeling them. A few pieces of charred skin will add flavor.

Next collect the rest of the ingredients.

For this batch I used:

• 2 roasted peppers (could have used three.)
  • 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil.
  • 1/3 C tahini (1/4 C measure was holding EVOO. ;) )
  • Juice from one lemon.
  • 2 C cooked garbanzos with most of the liquid drained.
  • Several cloves of garlic.
  • Dash of salt.
  • Parsley to garnish.
  • 4 oz Feta cheese.

I started with everything except the red peppers and parsley in the food processor and blended for a couple minutes. Then I added the peppers and blended for another minute or so before salting to taste. Add the Feta cheese when you blend in the roasted peppers.

To serve I put some on a plate, drizzled on some more EVOO and sprinkled with chopped parsley. You could also sprinkle on some cayenne or hot paprika for a little heat.

This is one of those recipes where proportions are not critical. You can vary them to suit your taste and even substitute as you prefer. It would be instructive to look up recipes for hummus as that is the starting point for the blend though I will not call this "roasted red pepper hummus" as those that enjoy true hummus would rightfully object.

Edit: In fact, this recipe is so non-critical that one can forget one of the main ingredients and it will still come out OK. I forgot that the recipe called for some Feta cheese so I have edited it (edits in italics) to add that in.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:35:56 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Fire roasted red pepper dip.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
Looks awesome! Healthy snack. Nice job and thanks for sharing, I will have to try this. One red roasted jalepeno to kick up the heat?

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:45 AM »
... One red roasted jalepeno to kick up the heat?
Sure! Make it yours.
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Oops! I made it mine as well by forgetting one of the ingredients.  :-[  ::) I have edited the original post to indicate that you should make it as I said, not as I did. ;) (It is good either way. Really!)
kettles, smokers...

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
Looking good Hank!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:15 AM »
Sounds great. My wife makes hummus all the time. I'll have to add this too it.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-