Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The long road to a cheesesteak (a bit long &pic heavy)  (Read 1710 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
The long road to a cheesesteak (a bit long &pic heavy)
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
Different parts of the country have that one staple everyone local loves. Growing up outside of Philadelphia, cheesesteak is like a pulled pork sandwich in Tennessee. I've had a good recipe for the meat for a long while now. But in the south it's impossible to find a good roll to complete the sandwich. If I could just get an amoroso hoagie roll life would be grand!

So I decided I'm going to make my own amoroso style roll. The process takes a few hours of work. I have stated on the site before that I am not a great baker. I give it a shot here and there but I'm modest at best lol. I got the recipe from this site. http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2008/12/how-to-make-crusty-italian-bread/

Here we go
First step is to add yeast to warm water so it activates

After that you combine the flour, salt, sugar and mix it together.  Turn out and knead on a floured surface. Since I doubled the recipe it took me close to an hour to get it close. I got tired of kneading so I gave up on it. Here's the dough after kneading.

Ready for a two hour rise. Your looking for it to double in size.

After the rise I rolled them into a loaf and a few rolls. Not perfect in proportion by any means. They also got a dusting of corn meal. Another 40 minute rise.

Next I fired up the kamado as it stated it should be cooked with diffused heat. I started it slowly so that I wouldn't over shoot the temp. I must not have gotten enough lump lit to compensate for rush of air coming in from loading it. It took awhile to recover and baked at 375 instead of 400. Here they are finished.

Next lets make the cheesesteak

The players

The sirloin philly steak from Walmart, onion, mushroom and velvetta cheese. I prefer white American on mine but the wife likes this kind. I'm not picky so I go with it. I season the steaks with garlic powder, onion powder and season salt on both sides.

Onions and mushrooms in the paella pan Cooking on the blue master touch(I love this grill!!)

Adding the steak

Chopped and mixed together

Adding the cheese

The final product!!

So after hours of work, two grills and a sore neck, was it what I had hoped? Although its a decent roll it's not as airy or soft as an amoroso roll. A few things I could change may help that though. It was a fun experiment and will fend off my cheesesteak craving for awhile! Thanks for reading!
Michael

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Golly

• WKC Performer
Re: The long road to a cheesesteak (a bit long &pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
looks awsum C_S
all my fav ingedients
shall try except the baking bit
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
C_S, the combination of great storytelling, mad cooking skillz, and awesome photography is truly inspiring. 
One of the charcoal people.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »
sometimes the fun is in the learning. looking forward to future posts on this!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
Thanks guys!
Golly its a good sandwich, you can also put sweet peppers or cook green bell pepper in with everything else.

Mike thanks so much for the compliment its greatly appreciated!

Mrbill it was fun learning about baking. I'm comfortable cooking over fire, so learning about baking then trying to adapt it a kettle is fun. Baking is much less forgiving than other types of cooking. It's still tough for me to be strict with my measuring and not just winging it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
Awesome documentation of the cook!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
Mrbill it was fun learning about baking. I'm comfortable cooking over fire, so learning about baking then trying to adapt it a kettle is fun. Baking is much less forgiving than other types of cooking. It's still tough for me to be strict with my measuring and not just winging it.

FWIW-baking is the only time I don't "wing it". Too many things can go wrong when baking when the amounts are off. because of that, I usually follow baking recipes pretty close. the exception being cornbread. my wife likes cornbread to be almost as sweet as cake, so I add a buttload of sugar.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank