Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Minion/Snake Method -- Some Basic Questions  (Read 2757 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Minion/Snake Method -- Some Basic Questions
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
Hello:

And "thank you" to the folks who encouraged me to continue learning how to organize and maintain cooking over charcoal.

I'm doing a dry run of the "snake" minion method.  I have the coals arranged in a dual-row semi circle, leaving space at one end for the drip pan.  I placed the temp probe of my ET-732 over the drip pan.  It's been approximately 45 minutes since I lit the coals on the snake.  The temp right now is at 266.  It fluctuates, depending on when the sun goes behind the clouds.  It a bit breezy.

When I'm ready to do a "wet run," do I put the ribs on the grill AFTER it reaches temp, i.e. 250 degrees (which is what I've been using on the gas grill)?  Or do I place the ribs on the grill when I light the snake?  On the gas grill, I always pre-heated the grill before adding the food.

Thanks for the info.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Minion/Snake Method -- Some Basic Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
If you set on right as you light the fuse, it will take a little bit longer to catch up to the regular temp.......remember, it's cold meat, or at least colder than the fire is running......and the internal temp of the pit has to compensate, or 'catch up' to level out.....

Either way will work.....but, usually best to be up to temp & stable (20min. is normal) so then you can better tell what moves to make to be at the cooking temp you'd like.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
Eapples.  Serious question:

Have you ever set your oven to 250 and monitored the temperature in it? 

I have.  You may be surprised at the results.  If your maverick is accurate and says 266, you are DEAD ON temp wise!

I would put the meat on after your temp has settled where you want it, and the smoke is not billowing.  So generally, yes, use a preheated grill when cooking with charcoal.

Have fun out there!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
This is the graph I did of my oven a few years ago.

As you can see, I set the oven to 250 and let it run a couple hours.  I note in the graph where I A) opened the door once to simulate removing the cooker lid,  and B) ramped the oven to 350.

The point of this exercise at the time was to relieve the angst some folks have with perceived wild fluctuations while they are barbecuing.  If people tracked their oven temps with a digital thermometer every minute, they would probably be alarmed.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
Eapples.  Serious question:

Have you ever set your oven to 250 and monitored the temperature in it? 

I have.  You may be surprised at the results.  If your maverick is accurate and says 266, you are DEAD ON temp wise!

I would put the meat on after your temp has settled where you want it, and the smoke is not billowing.  So generally, yes, use a preheated grill when cooking with charcoal.

Have fun out there!

Not at 250; but, I did it at 350.  The Maverick went as high as 427 and as low as 351 while the oven was cycling (electric).