Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to make bacon  (Read 11703 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to make bacon
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »
Some interesting things to consider here.  I may have to try my hand at bacon again.  I've done it once, and I did it with a wet cure and cold smoking, and I wasn't happy with the results at all.  It came out tasting more like a bad pork roast than bacon.  I also had issue, in that I frozen it in like 1lb bags and a couple of the bags seemed to go bad in a day or two after defrosting.  I may try to get a 2lb piece of pork belly and give a dry cure a try. 

For you guys who have done it, do you have any pics of your pre and post cured/smoked pork belly to share?  Also where are you getting your pork belly from, what kind of prices are you paying?  The one time I tried it, I got it from a local butcher and it ended up costing me like 5 bucks a lb.  It had very little fat on it, and by the time I got the skin off it was pretty skimpy (and being my first time trimming it I lost a fair bit of the little fat that was there).  It just seemed at that price, by the time I factored in ingredients for the wet cure,  wood dust for smoking it, and the time put in, it ended up costing way more than if I just bought some thick cut bacon from the grocery store.     

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »
I usually get mine from the butcher and its around $2.50/lb. I get a 10lb belly from him and go from there. I'm getting some next week hopefully. I'll take pics for you so you get an idea of how it looks. I have them take the rinds off for me, its just easier that way for me. And I'll never but store bought again...my bacon really turns out great (so the wife and friends tell me).
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »
i buy from the asian grocery, 2 bucks a pound when its on sale

most bacon nowadays isn't cold smoked, it's hot smoked. (and technically, fully cooked and cured)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
Thanks for the upcoming pics!  I look forward to checking them out.  Maybe I just need to find another butcher with much more reasonable pricing.   Do any of you use a meat slicer, or just cut it with a knife?   I liked the idea of using one cutting board as your edge while cutting it with a knife.   I'm thinking too that maybe mine wasn't completely cured as it was still fairly soft and malleable after the curing process. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »

most bacon nowadays isn't cold smoked, it's hot smoked. (and technically, fully cooked and cured)

Asian grocery bellies are usually small and skinny but yeah, the price is good.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
I have a meat slicer and use that, but I've also used my sharper knives to slice it. Depends on y mood that day.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
And it probably wasn't fully cured if it was soft. There is a big difference from my day one to day 7 pork bellies...very firm after the cure.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
This thread needs pics......

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »

Asian grocery bellies are usually small and skinny but yeah, the price is good.

it's hit or miss. I think the thin ones come from the side belly and the butcher trimmed off the ribs and cartilage.
in illinois finding a good belly at the asian grocer was a challenge.
so far in socal, i've had no problem :)

finding tenderquick or pink salt on the other hand, has been incredibly challenging :(

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
How to make bacon
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
Just asked a local small town store about ordering some. He said they can only get it in about 40lb boxes. Took my number so if someone else comes in asking we can split the box somewhat.  Wonder if the bigger stores could order a smaller amount for me.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
my butcher down the st has pink salt. try an italian deli that cures their own meat.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
my butcher down the st has pink salt. try an italian deli that cures their own meat.

i did.
i found two places that "have it" - but neither will sell it (they said it's only available to businesses)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
There's always amazon. It's a little more expensive than locally found ones but it's convenient and you save a few bucks in gas.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Q-Curing-Salts-Pink-Salt/dp/B0050IM4MY

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
Troy I ordered my pink salt from the Spice house here in Chicago.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
Hey - that place is a block away from me - let me know if you need me to be your salt agent.