Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spares, Babies, and Potatoes  (Read 1828 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Spares, Babies, and Potatoes
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
So today was my girlfriend's grandmother's birthday.  Since my GF has a race tomorrow morning, they came up to see her run tomorrow.  So today I smoked a rack of spareribs and a rack of baby backs (her grandmother's favs) and made some potatoes to go with them.  I forgot to take some pictures through out the process so not everything is here but I thought I would share what was.

So to start off this is where I do my BBQing/grilling.  We live in an appartment complex, so I've claimed the space to the side of it as my area.  I think you can make out the cord from the probe running to my maverick.  I smoked in the Weber and used the other grill as my work bench.

This is my snake set up in my weber, combination of Stubbs, and Royal Oak all natural briquettes, and some apple wood chunks.

I forgot to get a picture of putting on the rub and them during the first few hours, but here's a picture of them foiled up.  Those are the potatoes at the top. 

Here they are after being unwrapped from the foil.  No sauce went on these just straight dry rub, and some liquid while they were in the foil.

Here is the finished product!  We don't have a very large table to eat at so space was an issue, so everything went into big bowls.  An unconvential way of displaying them but it worked for serving.  Hopefully the smoke ring on the spares shows through in the photo they came out awesome.  The baby backs were just a tiny bit dry.

First the spares.

Then the baby backs

and finally the potatoes.

The spares had my rub on them which is a bit sweeter, and the baby backs had my girlfriend's mom's rub on them, which is quite a bit on the hot side.  The potatoes had black pepper, celery salt, garlic powder and olive oil on them.  When I foiled them I used regular salted stick butter, maple syrup (only on the spares, and just a touch), and apple juice. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:45:54 PM by Johnpv »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Spares, Babies, and Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
Wow! Great pics! That meal looks delicious!
Nice looking AU blue. It's hard to take your eyes off of her, eh??!?  :D :D 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 05:38:21 AM »
Nice work. Looks delicious. Love the bluey

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
Wow, great cook but I just can't keep my eye's off that beautiful blue grill you have!! :o
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:51:39 AM by RandyG »
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »
Nice job! I bet grandma was happy. :)

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Excellent cook, John!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Everything went over really well and it made for a great birthday for her Grandma.  I loved doing it too, and yes it's really hard to take your eyes off that blue kettle. 

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
Awesome cook.  I like the presentation using the bowl.  I might have to steal that for my big cookout.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Spares, Babies, and Potatoes
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
Awesome cook!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
I know you may have heard this before but:

Gorgeous blue there! And some damn fine ribs! Thanks for posting that!!!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA