Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lollipop Chicken Legs - Epic Fail  (Read 1165 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Lollipop Chicken Legs - Epic Fail
« on: September 11, 2024, 06:37:52 PM »
It’s common practice here - at least for me to post stories and pictures of successful cooks.  Food and pictures to be proud of… This post is not that lol…

Tonight’s cook was a comedy of errors followed by acute frustration and the main course into the trash.  The only thing I did correctly was the actual prep of the legs which was copied from a YouTube video.  Chicken was all prepped and while the cuts were correct, it was way over seasoned.  Plan was to cook on the small Asmoke pellet grill I have.  Auger jammed.  Fired up the glen Blue 26 using Royal Oak lump that consisted of crumbs, dust and a big rock.  It smelled so bad when burning I decided to abandon grilling and cook these in the oven.  Gave them a butter bath to about 160F as the recipe stated and all was well.  Took them out and dunked them in BBQ sauce to continue to a target temp of 180F.  I used sugar free sauce to make Kellee happy and got it out of the fridge to do so.  I learned tonight what 36 degree sauce does to a chicken leg…. Cooked them a while and checked IT and they were all back to 145F.  Long story short, 40 minutes later we had two of the smaller legs that were just at 165 and the rest were still under.  The sauce tasted awful and the grit from the rubs was like sawdust. 

I ate Mac and Cheese and she had a salad.  I don’t believe I’ve ever been more frustrated during what should have been an easy cook.

Some pics of this dadgum dinner….

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 06:46:08 PM by bamakettles »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lollipop Chicken Legs - Epic Fail
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 03:22:15 AM »
It’s common practice here - at least for me to post stories and pictures of successful cooks.  Food and pictures to be proud of… This post is not that lol…

Tonight’s cook was a comedy of errors followed by acute frustration and the main course into the trash.  The only thing I did correctly was the actual prep of the legs which was copied from a YouTube video.  Chicken was all prepped and while the cuts were correct, it was way over seasoned.  Plan was to cook on the small Asmoke pellet grill I have.  Auger jammed.  Fired up the glen Blue 26 using Royal Oak lump that consisted of crumbs, dust and a big rock.  It smelled so bad when burning I decided to abandon grilling and cook these in the oven.  Gave them a butter bath to about 160F as the recipe stated and all was well.  Took them out and dunked them in BBQ sauce to continue to a target temp of 180F.  I used sugar free sauce to make Kellee happy and got it out of the fridge to do so.  I learned tonight what 36 degree sauce does to a chicken leg…. Cooked them a while and checked IT and they were all back to 145F.  Long story short, 40 minutes later we had two of the smaller legs that were just at 165 and the rest were still under.  The sauce tasted awful and the grit from the rubs was like sawdust. 

I ate Mac and Cheese and she had a salad.  I don’t believe I’ve ever been more frustrated during what should have been an easy cook.

Some pics of this dadgum dinner….

been there done that, @jebivswife does not like legs unless I lollipop them. I have a lollipop rack for the grill. We would have skipped dinner and had 2 or 3 bourbons if that happened to us. The prep for lollipops is brutal. I'm sure they will be perfect if you try it again
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 03:45:49 AM »
Sorry that happened.

Not that it helps, but I’ve been butterflying the legs lately and cooking direct/indirect
Dude, relax your chicken.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 04:26:22 AM »
@bamakettles thanks for posting all the time and giving the good and the not so good! It happens and I know I don’t easily share “the bad ones” myself!

I’ll post a horrible one soon. Just need the time on the keyboard!

We am know you got skills and your cooks are awesome!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Lollipop Chicken Legs - Epic Fail
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 06:01:50 AM »
Thanks guys for the moral support, had the need to vent and sharing really helped! 

@JEBIV a bourbon or 3 would have been welcomed… to add insult to injury we eliminated alcohol from our lives over a month ago which did not help my attitude.🤣

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 06:55:18 AM »

Sorry that happened.

Not that it helps, but I’ve been butterflying the legs lately and cooking direct/indirect
I’ll have to look into that, thanks!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 06:58:53 AM »

@bamakettles thanks for posting all the time and giving the good and the not so good! It happens and I know I don’t easily share “the bad ones” myself!

I’ll post a horrible one soon. Just need the time on the keyboard!

We am know you got skills and your cooks are awesome!

Thanks Bobby, it’s actually therapeutic to type it all out.  Lessons learned on this one:  no sugar free bbq sauce in the future, heat the sauce first, less seasoning, and deep 6 the Royal Oak charcoal and pellet grill. : )

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 10:22:52 AM »

I’ll have to look into that, thanks!

Any size legs are good, but the bigger the better.

A sharp knife helps, watch your fingers, and experiment with the cuts.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »
@BamaKettle (and @JEBIV), I can tell that you are dedicated to making the women in your lives very happy and commend you wholeheartedly on that.  I watched a couple of videos and that surely is a labor of love ! ! !

Looking at the pics, it seems clear that the Lollipopping process was not the issue. 

Thank you for letting us all learn from your mistake.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 03:17:32 PM »
It happens to all of us!   They cannot all be grate.   I’ve learned my lesson with cold sauces too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2024, 05:41:26 PM »
I want 2.or 3 bourbons just thinking about the cook

Sent from my SM-A146U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 06:46:15 PM »
Thanks guys, much happier tonight, Kellee made chicken fajitas inside while it stormed outside.  All I had to do was grate some cheese.    My after dinner coffee was also magnificent and mental notes have been made for my next chicken attempt. : ). Appreciate all the supportive comments!