Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling All WKC Members  (Read 14126 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Calling All WKC Members
« on: January 21, 2024, 03:58:14 PM »
So….. I love this group.  I love sharing photos, cooks and hell, even personal life events.  I’d really enjoy seeing more participation from founding members, current cooking pros and new members alike.  We all enjoy grilling…. Given.  Let’s get personal and share some cooking experiences, grill restorations and photos of family enjoying Weber BBQ.  Some of the earliest members here make wood handles, have minty collectibles and rarely share much other than a picture of their scores.  Maybe it’s just me, but it would be awesome to actually have something that feels like a friendship… I hate to think that in a couple years the WKC was just something I used to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Calling All WKC Members
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 05:14:17 PM »
I agree Greg,  and I need to get better at sharing all things as well. Let's get it done!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 05:14:34 PM »
Greg

I agree.   Grilling, bbq, and all things Weber are best when they’re shared.   I enjoy the fellowship and friends I’ve made.   The Chicago meetups I’ve been to are great memories. 

I’ve not been quite so active because my apartment complex here in LA gave me a warning to cease and desist grilling.   They had no rules against it but strongly encouraged me to use the community gas grills.             

Neighbors were complaining of smoke.  lol.    I relented lest they escalate.   Anyhow….

Clearly, the WKC community is not as active posting.    Not sure if it’s the application (forums are not as popular these days) but I also don’t see as much participation in the companion Facebook group either.   Other Facebook groups post a lot but are more about contemporary Weber and grilling than vintage collecting and restoration.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 06:03:43 PM »
I agree.
I have not posted much lately myself. Working 2nd shift the last 5 years, I haven't been grilling as much as I used too but I have recently moved back to first and hope to get grilling more often.
I also forget to take pictures a lot. This Christmas, 10 NY strips with smoked garlic butter... no pictures, tonight snack night at bowling, 40 bacon wrapped jalapeño and 10#'s of wings... no pictures. I need to get back in the habit of taking and posting more.
I have not scored anything vintage, but I  could not resist the urge to buy a smoke 26 when they became available last month.
Meetups are great, and I can not wait to see everyone at the next one.
This is the last live on my grill picture in my phone. Snow is still piled high, but the Summit has been cleared, and the smoke 26 has been parked next to it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:19:54 PM »
Thanks guys.... guess I'm jones'n a little for some of the fun cooks I'm used to seeing here.  So sorry Michael about the restrictions in Cali.  Some people just don't get it I guess.... If you have the means, I suggest finding a used Weber Q.  We've made lots of goodies with ours over the past couple of years.  Also GA gas versions are pretty easy to fire up and cool down before the bbq police arrive.  I have 3 of them, let me know if you want one and I'll send it.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 08:23:40 PM »
I agree.
I have not posted much lately myself. Working 2nd shift the last 5 years, I haven't been grilling as much as I used too but I have recently moved back to first and hope to get grilling more often.
I also forget to take pictures a lot. This Christmas, 10 NY strips with smoked garlic butter... no pictures, tonight snack night at bowling, 40 bacon wrapped jalapeño and 10#'s of wings... no pictures. I need to get back in the habit of taking and posting more.
I have not scored anything vintage, but I  could not resist the urge to buy a smoke 26 when they became available last month.
Meetups are great, and I can not wait to see everyone at the next one.
This is the last live on my grill picture in my phone. Snow is still piled high, but the Summit has been cleared, and the smoke 26 has been parked next to it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wow, that's a lot of snow!  You're probably used to it - being in your area.  We just went through a week of snow/ice and here in Alabama we pretty much shut down unless you're in the utility business like me.  Had my share of 3 hour trips through the ice lately to service neighboring cities.  Glad to see the melting this coming week....  Appreciate you sharing.....

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 08:26:16 PM »
I agree Greg,  and I need to get better at sharing all things as well. Let's get it done!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Thanks Joe, love seeing your cooks and your posts!  We'll keep it going, just hoping to get others to join in.

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 08:44:07 PM »
I concur and here goes. The only time the Detroit Lions played in a NFC championship game, I was in my 20’s. Now I’m in my 60’s. We had a buttermilk brined rotisserie chicken to celebrate.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 08:55:59 PM »

I concur and here goes. The only time the Detroit Lions played in a NFC championship game, I was in my 20’s. Now I’m in my 60’s. We had a buttermilk brined rotisserie chicken to celebrate.

Wow, that’s quite a wait!  Chicken looks awesome….

cdp8

• WKC Brave
Calling All WKC Members
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 09:36:37 AM »
My first NFL game was outdoors at Tiger Stadium, Lions v. Broncos on Thanksgiving Day 1974. It snowed. The Lions lost. It was their last game at Tiger Stadium. The Lions moved to the Silverdome the following season.

And the chicken was wonderful.

And obviously, from the green grass, I’m not living in Michigan anymore. Still a Lions fan though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 09:38:59 AM by cdp8 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 02:45:51 PM »

My first NFL game was outdoors at Tiger Stadium, Lions v. Broncos on Thanksgiving Day 1974. It snowed. The Lions lost. It was their last game at Tiger Stadium. The Lions moved to the Silverdome the following season.

And the chicken was wonderful.

And obviously, from the green grass, I’m not living in Michigan anymore. Still a Lions fan though.

Great stories, thanks for sharing.  Maybe this is the Lion’s year - I’ll be watching for sure!

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 02:30:40 PM »
OK I'm in.
Based on a tip from a fellow worker.
Stuffed smoked pork loin.
The day before the cook:
make a packet of you preferred stuffing variety, or from scratch.
Let cool.
Wrap with saran or other cling wrap in a "sausage shape", make the length the same as that of the pork loin, & let the thincknes be whatever it comes out to.
Deep freeze overnight.
Day of the cook.
Take a long, slim knife & cut a slit along the center of the loin, don't come out its strictly an internal slit.e
Pour a little olive oil in & work it into the slit. Be generous, let the excess drip into a catcher.
Remove the frozen stuffing sausage from the deep freeze & unwrap
Coat liberally with the oil saved from the cut adding more as needed.
Stand the loin on end & slip the oiled frozen stuffing into the oiled slit.
If you like to marinate do overnight.
Dry rub can be applied after the sausage is stuffed.
Smoke as you'd smoke any other pork loin, you dont really need extra time for the stuffing because its a long slow cook.

I like fruit woods, Apple being my favorite, cherry second or pecan third.
When done slice "pork chop thick" & serve with apple sauce & your preferred side dishes. If you like to baste while cooking I just use apple juice.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 02:46:51 PM by Stoneage »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 02:50:45 PM »
Want to go bonkers? Wrap in bacon & a splash (not too much) Worcestershire sauce!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 07:07:00 AM »
OK I'm in.
Based on a tip from a fellow worker.
Stuffed smoked pork loin.
The day before the cook:
make a packet of you preferred stuffing variety, or from scratch.
Let cool.
Wrap with saran or other cling wrap in a "sausage shape", make the length the same as that of the pork loin, & let the thincknes be whatever it comes out to.
Deep freeze overnight.
Day of the cook.
Take a long, slim knife & cut a slit along the center of the loin, don't come out its strictly an internal slit.e
Pour a little olive oil in & work it into the slit. Be generous, let the excess drip into a catcher.
Remove the frozen stuffing sausage from the deep freeze & unwrap
Coat liberally with the oil saved from the cut adding more as needed.
Stand the loin on end & slip the oiled frozen stuffing into the oiled slit.
If you like to marinate do overnight.
Dry rub can be applied after the sausage is stuffed.
Smoke as you'd smoke any other pork loin, you dont really need extra time for the stuffing because its a long slow cook.

I like fruit woods, Apple being my favorite, cherry second or pecan third.
When done slice "pork chop thick" & serve with apple sauce & your preferred side dishes. If you like to baste while cooking I just use apple juice.
Just WOW!!  Thanks for sharing!

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 03:27:47 PM »
You're very welcome.