Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle Restore Question  (Read 221 times)

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Handle Restore Question
« on: August 04, 2022, 11:51:03 AM »

Nice red head.   I will always support [mention]zavod44 [/mention] and his handles.   Your existing ones don’t look too bad and it is possible to restore those handles.  Don’t get rid of them!this is an example of a handle from a 1986 18 inch kettle that I refinished. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@michaelmilitello, taking your advice I am refinishing the old handles on the red ‘91!

They sanded up pretty decently.  I gave them a very long soak in tung oil.  They’ve dried from that and I’ve given them another light sanding with 320 grit and wiped the clean. 

They were pretty worn, but one of the handles still had a little bit of the original Weber logo on it.  The two will go on the bowl and @zavod44 is crafting a new handle for the lid.

Question to all - For a final coat, should I stick with the tung oil, use a danish oil, or something else altogether?   I don’t have a ton of experience with any of them but have the first two in the garage!  Thanks for the thoughts and input.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Handle Restore Question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 06:59:57 PM »
[emoji122] awesome!!

I stick with tung oil.  If the handle ever gets dull, you can rub a light coat on with a lint free rag. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farace

• Smokey Joe
Re: Handle Restore Question
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 01:24:07 PM »
I don’t know if I did right or wrong, but I used marine spar varnish on some handles. I figure if it’s tough enough for a marine environment, it should last awhile on a handle.