Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wheel rehab  (Read 686 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Wheel rehab
« on: July 04, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »

Got some older plastic wheels you want to make new again?   I highly recommend 303.   These wheels were literally gray from sun fade and they’re 41 years old.  Fortunately, the white wall has stayed intact.   I don’t follow the label instructions.   Instead, I spray the wheel down thoroughly and let it dry.   The plastic soaks up the 303.  No wipe down.   Dump upside down to remove excess.  Three coats later, nice black wheels again.  The white wall insert is not brittle anymore.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wheel rehab
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »
great product !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:39:03 PM »

Got some older plastic wheels you want to make new again?   I highly recommend 303.   These wheels were literally gray from sun fade and they’re 41 years old.  Fortunately, the white wall has stayed intact.   I don’t follow the label instructions.   Instead, I spray the wheel down thoroughly and let it dry.   The plastic soaks up the 303.  No wipe down.   Dump upside down to remove excess.  Three coats later, nice black wheels again.  The white wall insert is not brittle anymore.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I do have some that could use a refresh.

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:11:19 PM »
I have been doing some wheel rehab as well… I bought the product Michael suggested above. I just need to add the clear coat and then take the tape off and condition the rubber.

For these wheels though, I painted the metal wheel white. I used some vinyl stickers to mask the white wall portion and then I painted the wheel black. These are 8” wheels and I used a vinyl sticker that was 6” centered on a 6.75” circle. I cut the vinyl sticker, and then walked it around the wheel. I have done a handful of metal wheel restores and this was by far the easiest and turned out the best. Anyways just wanted to share in case others wanted to use this technique. Attached is a before and after. Happy Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »

I've used a product very similar to this to bring back the black on several sets of old plastic wheels.  Works great!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"