Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Preferred charcoal?  (Read 29146 times)

bkoval

• Happy Cooker
Preferred charcoal?
« on: July 21, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »
Even though I've been propane grilling for years, I am completely new to the charcoal game. I know the difference between briquettes and lump, and from what I've read people largely go with briquettes in their kettles. Are there brands that are better than others? I know this is such an elementary question but I'd love to hear what you experts have to say!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Preferred charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll throw in my $.02...... My go to briquette is B&B orange bag.  I'll use Kingsford as well when it's on sale, but it burns really fast in comparison.  As far as lump, I like B&B oak (brown bag) and hickory (green bag).  All of these are usually available at Academy Sporting goods in my area for a decent price.  They can be found at Ace Hardware as well for more coin.  Main thing I've learned over the years that works best for me is to wait until your coals are ashed over before introducing food to the grill.  My wife is not a smoke fan and getting a good clean fire going helps make her happy with the outcome.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »
Best I’ve ever had is Jealous Devil. It’s got a flavor and smell that kills anything I’ve bought. I almost refuse to buy Kingsford.

Have tried Blues Hogs (meh), and B&B lump which isn’t too bad. I almost never run briquettes, in fact I’ve had some JD briquettes for almost two years and haven’t tried them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll throw in my $.02...... My go to briquette is B&B orange bag.  I'll use Kingsford as well when it's on sale, but it burns really fast in comparison.  As far as lump, I like B&B oak (brown bag) and hickory (green bag).  All of these are usually available at Academy Sporting goods in my area for a decent price.  They can be found at Ace Hardware as well for more coin.  Main thing I've learned over the years that works best for me is to wait until your coals are ashed over before introducing food to the grill.  My wife is not a smoke fan and getting a good clean fire going helps make her happy with the outcome.
Completely agree with everything you said. If you have access to B&B get it.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 08:06:15 AM »
B&B is fantastic.  Cowboy all natural briquettes are great too.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Preferred charcoal?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »
My go to is Royal oak chef select.  It’s only sold through food service distribution like Gordon Food Services.  The briquettes are 30% bigger than kingsford and all hardwood.     It’s similar to B&b and reminds me of Weber, which Royal oak made. 

For lump, I use B&b or Royal oak. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:24:12 AM by michaelmilitello »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:18:39 AM »

^^^This^^^

B&B hands down is the best briquette. Awesome for low and slow cooking.

We like Cowboy Lump, and B&B Lump.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
B&B briquettes are excellent for low and slow. I’ll be honest though, I use Kingsford Blue for most cooks. It’s cheap and relatively consistent. There is definitely better charcoal out there though. Love Jealous Devil and B&B lump also.

mattstaub

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 03:28:05 PM »
This is a dangerous religious level argument 🤣

However, just to throw in, my faves are Blues Hog lump and B&B briquettes.

Matt

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 02:46:06 AM »
My favorites are what my neighbor buys, he never locks the gate to his backyard. he buys a lot of B&B orange bag, and kamado joe big block lump. so I like it !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 02:56:52 AM »
My favorites are what my neighbor buys, he never locks the gate to his backyard. he buys a lot of B&B orange bag, and kamado joe big block lump. so I like it !!

I'm going to have a talk with your neighbor!

tiewunon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 01:01:10 AM »
- Bit late to this thread, however as far as briqs are concerned my go to is B&B comp oak orange bag. I do also play with B&B Char Logs which is an extruded briq a tad more difficult to light but gives a long and pretty consistent burn. Additionally the Char Logs are a great bang for the buck.
- If you really want a clean burning charcoal or if you do any baking in your grill(s) you might like Coconut briqs/lump. It also is extruded, burns hot with a bit less ash. Really shop around if interested in this price to weight really varies.
- For lump I like Rockwood, B&B and Royal Oak, that pretty much does it for me. I have tried a lot of different lump but keep going back to the three mentioned above. I am sure there are better ones out their.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:06:45 AM by tiewunon »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 04:22:44 AM »
A favorite of this forum, B&B. Best for long cooks, low and slow. This is the briquette to use.

For lump we like Royal Oak, and Cowboy, and B&B.

I do NOT care for the B&B Char-Logs. Not at all!

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 08:43:42 AM »
Honorable mentions:

Smilner

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 09:05:46 AM »
I like kingsford blue bag charcoal. Easy to find anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club