Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold Weather Grilling  (Read 315 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Cold Weather Grilling
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:02:35 PM »
So, I am curious.  Do you guys change up your routine for cold weather and less light?

I put away most of vintage stuff in my barn and use my performer nearly exclusively.   I don’t want to mess with cleaning up daisy wheelers.  I also rearrange my patio so it sits in the flood light.   

I find myself using my lump more often or mixing lump with briquettes to get going faster.   

Tonight, i found a way to preheat my metal pan for transporting food.   There’s nothing worse than hot food on a cold metal pan.   

And the snow shovel is at the ready because Lord knows the driveway has to wait!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Cold Weather Grilling
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
Michael, like you all of my vintage kettles, Genesis, 26er's and firepit are tucked away in the shed until spring.
The Summit charcoal will be moved up on the deck just outside the sliding door to cut down on how much shoveling will be required and closer to the lighting.
Lump charcoal will also be my fuel choice for much of the winter.
The Q will be on standby in the garage for quick simple cooks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 04:23:44 PM »
I live in Dallas so I just avoid outdoor cooking on the five days it gets below freezing here. Good call on using lump in lower temperatures. I hadn’t thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
Totally in agreement with keeping the daisy wheelers covered / put away for winter.  Being in N Alabama, winters aren’t very harsh but we do get the occasional half to one inch of snow that shuts down life as we know it.  That’s when I break out the OTP.  But all my daily drivers stay on the deck through the winter as we do have our 50F weather sometimes.  Lack of light is the main deterrent which is easily overcome with magnetic mount lights.  We’ve also enjoyed the convenience of the old Genesis gassers so far this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Last year’s snowstorm….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »

This was last February.   We ended up with 12 inches. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »
As usual, shoveling 3’ of sunshine here in Phoenix….my pathway to the grill is cleared always….[emoji51]

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »
I was on a patio with a balcony over the top, so snow was usually not a problem.
Smoking can be a pain in the short daylight periods you either start up, shut down, or both in the dark.
A few winters back we had deep show, a rarity, 3~6" is usually it.
Then they plowed ll the lot snow up on top of it.
We BBQ'd in a Snow Fort!
Just dress for the weather.
Luckily out kettle is 3' from the door so we didn't "have to walk uphill, both ways, in the deep snow" to reach to the grill.

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
I generally just cleat the patio with a snowblower and dig out the grills. I tend to like grilling in the snow and cold weather

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »
There is something about the smoke rolling in the cold. Not sure what it is haha. The only grill that will not be used is the Sequoia, it will even be moved away from the garage door so it stays nice and dry no matter what. Right now it’s the gem of the small collection.